Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: She-wolf and Twins Album  (Read 522 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
She-wolf and Twins Album
« on: December 06, 2022, 12:34:29 am »

I’ve been working on a sub-set collection of she-wolf and twins denarii and silver and silvered antoniniani. Just uploaded 7 coins (6 different with 1 duplicate). Based on Sydenham I’ve attributed the SEX PO FOSTLVS coins to Italian mint, even though both sellers attributed to Rome.  I don’t have Crawford.  Is it now settled that issue is attributed to Rome?
An Antoninus Pius she-wolf right denarius  and Probus XXI ant will soon be added.  By my reckoning that leaves Vespasian, Titus, Marcus Aurelianus, and Claudius II remaining to acquire.  Am I overlooking any pre-reform RSCs or billon/silvered? I believe Hadrian’s she-wolf was issued only as an aureus, Aurelian’s only in bronze, and I generally exclude usurpers, in this case Carausius.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
Re: She-wolf and Twins Album
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 02:05:43 am »
Am I overlooking any pre-reform RSCs or billon/silvered?
If all you want is silver, then there is a very early she-wolf RRC 20/1:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1995454

By my reckoning that leaves Vespasian, Titus
I'm pretty sure that during Flavian reign she-wolf denarii were struck olny for Domitian.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 07:59:18 am »

Thanks DzikiZdeb.  I probably will at some point expand to the pre-denarius and post-reform periods. She-wolf and twin denarius are listed in RSC for Vespasian at RSC II 103 [RIC 70] and for Titus at RSC II 69 [RIC 204]. I also think there is a denarius with the she-wolf and twins theme depicted on a building facade, but can’t recall who issued that coin.
Thanks again.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 09:11:48 am »
RIC lists for Carausius 571 - 577 and 594 with she-wolf and twins.

http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.5.cara.571

Pekka K

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 10:02:37 am »
She-wolf and twin denarius are listed in RSC for Vespasian at RSC II 103 [RIC 70] and for Titus at RSC II 69 [RIC 204].
I thought my memory was starting to fail me, but no - everything is as I wrote. I checked it in RCV II and in RIC II.1 - both coins you mentioned are marked as hybrids with Domitan she-wolf rv (probably known in a single copy) and both are omitted from the new RIC II.1. There is an additional note next to Titus coin that it is probably a forgery.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 10:38:30 am »

Hhmmmmm.  Well I certainly don't want to be chasing ghosts.  I saw the references to hybrid (i.e. Domitian reverse) in RSC II for Vespasian, but did not check the obverse to see if it is stated to be a Vespasian legend.  Also saw the possible plated forgery refernce in the Titus listing.  I'll definitely study on this some more.  Your help is much appreciated !       

All coins are guaranteed for eternity