Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Encrustrations on some of my fake Gold coins  (Read 698 times)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Encrustrations on some of my fake Gold coins
« on: December 09, 2022, 06:29:57 am »
Encrustrations on Irene transfer die fake.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Encrustrations on some of my fake Gold coins
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 06:35:35 am »
Celtic fake "Hofoldinger Forst", modern hand cut dies with its encrustrations.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 06:44:29 am »
Syracuse  transfer die fake with encrustrations

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 06:47:22 am »
Encrustrations on a Rhodes cast fake

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 06:51:55 am »
Encrustrations on transfer die fake Solidi

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 06:54:09 am »
Encrustrations on an old fake Denarius of Cigoi showing Matidia

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 07:57:03 am »
As always, very impressive!  I never trust statements that forgers cannot do something because they then show that they can do so.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 08:06:28 am »
Very interesting--thank you for providing this.  Do you think these would show evidence of artifical manipulation (glue, etc.) if subjected to the same sort of tests as the Sponsian coins, or was it achieved through heat treatment?

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 09:14:11 am »
The problem is that I do not even know what the encrustrations are, there is something white which is clearly wax on some of them and then we have this brown, black, red encrustrations and almost transparent encrustrations.
Most can be removed easily with a finger nail!
These encrustrations on many fake gold coins look very similar although they are from different times and from workshops/forgers, I guess they are using same or similar technique.
I would like to know if the encrustrations on the Sponsian can be removed with a finger nail, that it would speak very much against authenticity.
Real encrustrations should be hard and stick there so much that you need chemicals or a scalpel to remove them. (See for example the real encrustrations on authentic Ephesos and Magnesia ad Maeandrum gold staters from the recent hoard, I have a Magnesia ad Maeandrum gold stater and you can not remove the encrustrations without violence or strong chemistry so I haven´t dared to think about it.
Of course on fakes can be hard encrustrations too but they are more sophisticated and so rarer.

Some gold Beirut fakes seem to have good encrustrations see for example the transfer die fake hoard" Each emperor in the hoard came from the same dies."

IBSCC Bulletin on Counterfeits BOCS Vol 20 No.1 1995 Page 29 Fig 10b

http://forgerynetwork.com/asset.aspx?id=q01zICFl9HQ=

http://forgerynetwork.com/asset.aspx?id=KmVAhMqv~x~lk=

http://forgerynetwork.com/asset.aspx?id=LZphWZMAIoU=

http://forgerynetwork.com/asset.aspx?id=Pqpmt/JJogE=

and so on

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 08:04:02 am »
Very interesting--thank you for providing this.
I second those comments. Fascinating.
Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2022, 12:28:22 am »
I suspect encrustations on silver and gold might also be be manufactured exploiting the galvanic potential differences between metals in contact. I inadvertently placed an assortment of silver and bronze ancients in a Japanese cast iron bowl and after a few months the different galvanic potential of the metal in this configuration in a very humid climate saw spots of what appeared to be copper and iron mobilized in an encrustation like form to the silver at points of contact. Far from my expertise, and I haven't given much thought to the possibility beyond this accident, but I am sure others must be aware of the possibility and its potential utility in manufacturing fake encrustations. We see this galvanic effects on coins from some ancient mixed bronze and silver hoards. I see no reason why it could not be employed to make convincing artificial encrustations.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2022, 10:06:04 pm »

Pardon if I’m misunderstanding, but in some areas it simply looks like copper spotting from poor alloying.  In others it looks different, like copper spotting on steroids.  Are you saying the forgers did something to enhance the copper spotting? Could it be that the alloy included traces iron or other metals that when exposed to an environment, natural or artificial, produced these results?

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2022, 09:49:22 am »
Here encrustrations on a AV Quinar showing Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius.
It is a fantasy coin made by Gian Giacomo Bonzagni (called Parmagiano) who lived 1507-1565.

What is interesting is that so many authentic and fake gold coins with very old pedigree show such red or brown or black encrustrations and remains of wax.
I think that this encrustrations were not there at the beginning and are resulting from dust and conservation chemicals and wax.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity