Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two Possible Fake Bronzes (Philip I and Philip II)  (Read 527 times)

Offline AugustusSPQR

• Legionary
Two Possible Fake Bronzes (Philip I and Philip II)
« on: December 16, 2022, 07:05:15 pm »
Purchased these in an auction a bit ago but I just wanted some opinions. Both in hand seem cast rather than struck, but i'm unfamilar with these types.

1. Syria, Cyrrhestica. Cyrrhus . Philip I. AD 244-249. Æ (28mm, 16 g).
2. Syria, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch. Philip II. AD 247-249. Æ 8 Assaria (29mm, 17.5 g).

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Two Possible Fake Bronzes (Philip I and Philip II)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 08:07:58 pm »
Why do you suspect them?  They look OK to me, and I doubt just about every thing!

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 08:14:25 pm »
They also look genuine to me, and the sizes and weights are correct. The Antioch coin, by the way, is Philip I (reference: McAlee 977) not Philip II. Philip II is always depicted beardless.

Bill R.

Offline AugustusSPQR

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 11:03:47 pm »
I assumed much of the pitting was evidence of casting, but perhaps i'm looking too much into it. The edges appear unusually round and almost look filed in places but, again, not too knowledgeable on these provincials. I'll try to take some in hand pictures.

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 06:35:39 am »
Casting bubbles are almost invariably circular. The pitting on your coins is a mixture of circles, ovals, and more irregular shapes, which is what you'd expect if formed through natural corrosion.

Bill R.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity