Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of Baanes Apo Hypaton 6th-7th Century?  (Read 486 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal of Baanes Apo Hypaton 6th-7th Century?
« on: November 19, 2022, 04:10:50 pm »
 I acquired a handsome Byzantine seal which measures 21.99 mm and weighs 12.44 g.   On the obverse is a cruciform monogram  A-B-N-O-V within a leafed ring.    On the reverse is a cruciform monogram  α - ν - ο - π - τ - υ - ω  within a leafed ring.    I think that it solves Βαάνου, ἀπὀ ὑπάτων =
(Seal of) Baanes, apo hypaton and dates to 6th/7th century.  Am I correct?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine Seal of Baanes Apo Hypaton 6th-7th Century?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 04:59:11 pm »
Yes, you are correct!

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 08:17:59 am »
Thank you Gert.  Are seals with Armenian names somewhat unusual?  I believe that this seal may have been found near modern day Armenia

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 09:52:36 am »
Somewhat unusual, but not very rare. There were tons of Armenians in Byzantine service over the years.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity