Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine I. Follis, assignment  (Read 498 times)

Offline Laurentius

• Praetorian
  • Laurentius
    • My Gallery
Constantine I. Follis, assignment
« on: November 09, 2022, 06:39:25 am »
Hello

Short question. How would you classify the following example?

As:

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/constantine/_trier_RIC_vII_053.jpg

or:

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/constantine/_trier_RIC_VI_862.jpg

Or would both possibilities apply?

4,52g, ∅ 23mm

br Laurentius

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
Re: Constantine I. Follis, assignment
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 12:00:53 pm »
My volumes of RIC have different descriptions of the reverse:

Vol VI, page 226, #862: MARTI CON-SERVATORI  Mars, helmeted, stg. r., r. leaning on reversed spear, l. resting shield on ground.

Vol VII, page 168, #53: MARTI CON-SERVATORI  Mars helmeted in military dress, stg. r., cloak spread, holding vertical spear reversed, resting l. hand on shield.

Based on this, I would say you have RIC 862 from RIC vol. VI.

Below is a picture of a coin from my collection that shows a "spread cloak" -- and your coin does not have it.

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 12:12:56 pm »
Below is a photo of my Trier RIC 862.
3.80 gm., 23.5 mm.           
RIC #862; PBCC #155a; Sear #15981.

Purchased from CNG in 1997. So I would trust their attribution.

Offline Laurentius

• Praetorian
  • Laurentius
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 01:54:44 pm »
@ Callimachus

Ok, thank you very much for the explanation. You have a very nice one
of RIC 862. 8)
Also probably one of the last depictions of Mars on coins, in connection
with the "Constantinian shift".

br Laurentius

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 03:12:06 pm »
Maybe, jut maybe, I am wrong.
The WIldwinds description (not the RIC description) for RIC 53 says "cloak spread across upper chest."
The upper chest of Mars on your coin is different from the upper chest of Mars on my coin. Maybe CNG was wrong all those years ago.
The Wildwinds pictures you linked to also are different.
Let's hope someone else can add to this.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 05:00:58 pm »
Your coin is RIC VI TREVERI 862

RIC VII TRIER 53 looks like this coin:

The cloak is an important difference. But the more important difference is weight and the most important difference is diameter.

It is worth to remember that during this TF/PTR issue follis/nummus was significantly reduced: from 1/72 Roman pound to 1/96 (from ~4.5 g to ~3.4 g). RIC VI TREVERI belongs to 1/72 part and RIC VII TRIER to 1/96 part. However, these coins were minted in al marco mode. 96 coins weighted 1 pound but one flan may have been significantly different from another. As a result, in one batch of coins, there could be coins having 4 g and those having 3 g. But the diameter of the DIE was nearly constant. ~22-23 mm for RIC VI TREVERI and ~19-20 mm for RIC VII TRIER

The diameter of the flan of your coin is practically the same as the diameter of the die, i.e. pearl ring, so this 23 mm proves that this coin comes from the earlier part of TF/PTR issue

And I am pretty sure that this RIC VII TRIER 53 on Wildwinds is in fact another RIC VI TREVERI 862.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 07:08:51 pm »

And I am pretty sure that this RIC VII TRIER 53 on Wildwinds is in fact another RIC VI TREVERI 862.

Me too. Dane ought to be notified.
Thanks for explaining the differences of the diameter.

Lech Stępniewski:
The WIldwinds description (not the RIC description) for RIC 53 says "cloak spread across upper chest."
Could you please comment on this WIldwinds description, and the differences seen above on the two specimen of RIC 862 with respect to the chest of Mars?
Thank you.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity