Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman helmet carrier?  (Read 567 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Roman helmet carrier?
« on: November 03, 2022, 01:15:38 pm »
Normally I'd think it's a handle but the fact that it has 2 bronze pieces that are added onto it makes me believe it might be for a helmet.

Thoughts?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Roman helmet carrier?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 05:16:38 pm »
See the "Handles, Helmet and Others" thread pinned to the top of this section.

Though pins like that are found on helmet handles and on chest handles - where they attach to the wood - the fact that yours is quite small with a high arch means it is more likely for furniture - small drawers on a portable chest or medicine case.  Otherwise you would have to hold your helmet with one or two fingers....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Re: Roman helmet carrier?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 09:23:02 pm »
Thanks Shawn, the extra add on threw me off. But I guess 99% of all these are indeed handles. I thoughts these helmets usually were attached to some rope and hanged from the neck so didn't take size into account.  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity