Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Auction ref. check for Ratto 1911 Louis the Pious denier  (Read 391 times)

Online Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Auction ref. check for Ratto 1911 Louis the Pious denier
« on: October 30, 2022, 09:49:15 am »
Dear Board,
I bought this coin (a denier of Milan of Louis the Pious) with as a reference 'ex Gavazzi, Milan 1911 lot 6.' Now there is no auction house with that name, but the R. Ratto sale of April 24, 1911 was the col. Giuseppe Gavazzi, which seems to be more than a coincidence.

I am hoping there is a forum member who has this catalogue and is able to check if it is the same coin.
Best regards
Gert Boersema

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Auction ref. check for Ratto 1911 Louis the Pious denier
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 01:13:26 pm »
We have a member here who created a wonderful reference site: rNumis. I didn’t have the time today to check your reference, but here’s the link :
DT

https://www.rnumis.com/house_auctions.php?house=RATTO&db_minyr=1844&db_maxyr=2022&dbcountry=All%20Countries

Online Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 02:58:42 pm »
Thank you for the link. I did not know the site, but will definitely check it out in the future.

However, with the sale I would need, there is no link to the BN as with the others, nor is the pdf downloadable.

Regards
Gert

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 08:47:19 am »
I have contacted Steve about the auction we were talking about because he has the plates in his personal files. Here is his answer: « Hi Dominic, I checked and it's not that sale, unfortunately...all strictly ancient Greek & Roman. I will keep a lookout for other possibilities though. » So to be continued…
DT

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 12:28:15 pm »
Another email from him: « one extra note...it looks like the Gavazzi sale was 53...the Cavedoni sale I scanned is 54. There are  6 Gavazzi plates, so your friend may be in luck if he can find the catalog. »

Online Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 04:31:25 pm »
Thanks for the trouble Dominic, much appreciated. The search continues.
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity