Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: #10 Xacto Blades  (Read 572 times)

Offline Roy W

• Praetorian
#10 Xacto Blades
« on: October 25, 2022, 01:48:50 pm »
Hello, all.

I use the #10 Xacto blade (curved) a lot for encrustations, but often times find it’s just too big. Has anyone ever heard of a “miniature” version of it?

Thanks!

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: #10 Xacto Blades
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 02:53:01 pm »
Not sure about available sizes, but I use a tip that is not curved and that fine point tip works nicely for pinpoint work. I took a quick look at Xacto site and it looks like #10 may be smallest curved one unless there is a third party making blades.

Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 08:37:31 pm »
I use a surgical scalpel with straight edge blades.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Roy W

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 09:54:40 pm »
@virgil
@joe

Something like a #11?

Maybe a #12 is what I was looking for. Also, #23 looks like it may be useful.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 09:58:53 pm »
I use something like the #11. What I like is the sharp tip. The curved ones are good for larger areas, but that tip is what I end up using most of the time.

Virgil

Offline Roy W

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 10:22:50 pm »
Hmm, I don’t know if I’m THAT good yet to use that and not scratch patina. I’ll have to try it on one from the BD/flaky patina pile.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 10:07:35 pm »

I’ve used the 10, 11, and 16. Ultimately I got really comfortable with the 11. It is now my favorite cleaning tool with diamond embedded dental drill bits being a close second choice.  The point of the 11 can get into tight spaces and the straight blade works well in more opens areas like the fields and on the bust. I almost always clean on a wet or damp coin surface.  I try to pull the blade or use small circular motions, but honestly I sometimes push the blade (don’t we all at times?). When I’m using a new blade I’ll work on a less promising coin first as there is a greater risk of breaking through the patina with a new, sharp blade. A low angle of attack— keeping the blade as flat to the surface as possible— helps avoid those mistakes.

You’re on the right track experimenting with different tools. Trial and error, and patience !

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 10:26:12 pm »
I use an 11 under a binocular microscope.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2022, 06:52:54 pm »
I use a scalpel shaped like 10.  I like the variety it offers - straight, curve and pointed - but do end up using the tip a lot.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Roy W

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 10:59:36 am »
thank you all for the support and education. seems like a #23 (Excel) is doing well for me so far.

my apologies for the bad pics, the only device i have to keep the file size small enough is a usb magnifier.

anyway, im happy with the blade. the coins in the pic just came in last night, so there hasnt been any long term DW soaking,

All coins are guaranteed for eternity