Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Motya in the news  (Read 528 times)

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
    • Auction & Provenance Databases
Motya in the news
« on: March 19, 2022, 12:12:36 am »
I saw several news feeds pick up this story yesterday. Interesting. It seems they're still hard at work excavating. Perhaps I'll visit one day - was always interested in the coinage.

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2022/03/archaeologists-identify-sacred-pool-aligned-with-the-stars/143075

with more details here

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/antiquity/article/sacred-pool-of-baal-a-reinterpretation-of-the-kothon-at-motya/329646E6561765FD30A9D6EC5FD5B6CB
Steve Moulding
New York

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Motya in the news
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 12:35:27 am »
Hi SM,

Thanks for posting this. It is very interesting.

I am a third generation American of 100% Italian descent, but I am not Sicilian. My maternal grandparents came from the Naples area. I enjoy reading about these types of discoveries, especially ones in Italy/Sicily.

I have a Motya coin (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gs_sicl_morg_nakona.htm

It is a pedigreed coin from the Lindgren collection.

Meepzorp

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 12:43:35 am »
Beautiful coin Meepzorp! Have you visited Naples or Sicily? I spent a really nice 2 weeks in the Naples area in 2018. Sicily is top of my list of places I want to visit.
Steve Moulding
New York

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 10:36:53 am »
Hi SM,

I visited Italy in 1985, when I was 17 years old. It was my senior year of high school, and the trip was organzied by the priests at my Catholic high school. We visited several cities in Italy, including the Naples area. We didn't visit Sicily. The hotel we stayed at in the Naples area was in Sorrento. Actually, it was an old Medieval castle that had been converted into a hotel.

I loved Italy. The scenery and culture were beautiful. Unfortunately, high school was not a pleasant experience for me because I was such a nerd. And the 2 weeks that we spent in Italy were extremely unpleasant for me because the other students chose that time to "ramp up" their bullying of me. They made the entire trip a miserable experience for me, socially speaking. Consequently, I couldn't enjoy it much. And the 2 priests who chaperoned the trip were absolutely useless. They refused to do anything about it. And they actually blamed me and said that it was my fault that I was being picked on and bullied. Did you ever hear Howard Stern talk about his high school years? Well, that was me in high school. Along with his fart jokes, I think that is one of the primary reasons why I identify with Howard and why I love him so much. Someday in the future, I hope to write an autobiography, and I will more fully explain my high school and Italy experiences.

I always wanted to return to Italy as an adult so that I could really enjoy it. Unfortunately, I was stricken with my illness in 1990, when I was 22 years old. As a result, I haven't been on vacation (anywhere) since 1988, and I rarely leave my home. I don't know if I will ever get to visit Italy again.

Meepzorp

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 12:50:01 pm »
Hi Meepzorp, it really is a beautiful country. I'm sorry your experience wasn't what it should have been and that one day you'll get the chance to go back!  For places I haven't yet been to, and maybe never will, I enjoy using google maps to do a virtual exploration. With the many 3D photos they have - and of course Street View - it's a great way to go somewhere virtually and 'look around' and get a sense of what the place looks like. I did this with Segesta recently.  I think sometime soon for anywhere on google maps you'll be able to do a full VR walk around with a headset and goggles. It's not the same as going of course, but would still be fun, once the technology gets there. I think it's close.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Moulding
New York

All coins are guaranteed for eternity