Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius Dupondius with Galley / Ship Reverse  (Read 796 times)

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Marcus Aurelius Dupondius with Galley / Ship Reverse
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:58:22 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to attribute a dupondius of Marcus Aurelius.
It is the one with the galley /ship on on the reverse with Neptune and 4 rowers. IMP VIII, and SC left and right.

It looks like BMCRE 1615 however the legend on my coin appears to read FELICITAS (with possibly one extra letter following), not FELICITATI.
It is definitely an S on my coin, not a T.
I would post photos but you can only see those letters when under light at a certain angle.

I suspect it is due to tooling and the person has overidden the FELICITATI thinking it is FELICITAS because I am not aware of any dupondii with anything other than FELICITATI.

Before I resign to this conclusion, can anyone tell me if there are other legends for dupondii which read FELICTAS?
I am using my physical copy of BMCRE and have searched all the online databases.

Thanks,

Peter

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Marcus Aurelius Dupondius with Galley / Ship Reverse
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:21:21 am »
Hi Pete,

Here is my example (scroll down, last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_marcus_aurl.htm

Mine also has 4 rowers. The last letter on my example looks like an "I", but it is not 100% clear.

Meepzorp

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Re: Marcus Aurelius Dupondius with Galley / Ship Reverse
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:45:53 am »
Hi Meepzorp,

Nice coin. Yours like mine has a legend which is difficult to read.

What I am trying to establish is whether my coin has been tooled so that it ends in S, or whether there are legends on dupondii of this type which have FELICITAS, not FELICITATI.

Here is a photo of my coin. You cannot read the legend on the reverse clearly but held under light there is definitely an S.

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity