Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tetartemorion from TROAS, THRACE-MACEDOINE, MYSIE, ... ?  (Read 938 times)

Offline Montmercure

• Praetorian
Tetartemorion from TROAS, THRACE-MACEDOINE, MYSIE, ... ?
« on: February 03, 2022, 12:05:01 pm »
    I am an atypical amateur insofar as I am interested in Greek and Roman monetary history through a recurring mythological character and his attributes : Hermes, Mercury, Turms.

This interest "transports" me from the Pillars of Hercules to the foothills of the Hindu Kush over a period of about 6 centuries, so that I cannot target either a region or a particular period to hold the realy adequate specialized documentation.

I recently purchased the Tetartemorion AR (6mm, 0.17g) attached 1 below

It represents

- on the obverse a Corinthian helmet on the left
    - on the reverse: an amphora and a caduceus framing the symbol Π all within a filiform frame

Regarding the origin, the seller indicated: "Troas Neandria circa 450 BC"

As I was trying to find out more, I found a (small) number of similar coins (6 including mine) in sales over the past few years.

According to sellers, the provenance was:
    - TROAS. Neandria (mine)
    - THRACEMACEDONIA (2)
    - MYSIA – Proconnesus (1)
    - ASIA MINOR. Uncertain (2)

I also found in comments on almost identical coin (Hemiobol or Tetartemorion with Corinthian Helmet + Amphora) sold in 2014

" Varieties of this type have appeared at auction recently, and have been tentatively attributed to Neandria in Troas, where an early fraction featured a helmet on the obverse. While an attribution to a mint in that region is reasonable, Neandria is probably not correct, as its early fractions consistently feature a ram or barley grain on the reverse, which were emblematic of the city. At the same time, the nearby city of Larissa consistently featured an amphora on the reverse of nearly all of its coinage, which would make it a more likely candidate" - From CNG

This opens the door to an additional provenance: TROAS Larisa

I've scoured internet for items and the only clue I could find relates to Proconnesus in Mysia, where there are Tetartemorion with a vessel on the reverse with the symbol Π which also stands for ΠPOKON (Margaret THOMPSON - The Coinage of Proconnesus) attached 2 below

But ....

- The frame is hollow
    - The vessel is an Oenochoë and not an amphora
    - The obverse depicts a horse

Do you have an idea as to the possible provenance of "my" Tetartemorion or other ways to explore?

cordially

François

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Tetartemorion from TROAS, THRACE-MACEDOINE, MYSIE, ... ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 12:50:24 pm »
As far as I know your quotation from the auction is the state of knowledge (or more exactly the state of ignorance :)) existing today.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Montmercure

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 02:52:22 pm »
sorry but I don't realy understand what you mean

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 03:01:14 pm »
... sorry but I don't realy understand what you mean ...
I meant that the information in the text "Varieties of this type have appeared at auction recently, and have been tentatively attributed to Neandria in Troas ..." from the CNG auction you cited above is all what is known today. And because this is not very much you cannot really call that knowledge, it is rather ignorance ;). We just don't know :-[.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Montmercure

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 03:04:39 am »
I understand :-)

By quoting CNG, I just wanted to say that CNG's remark allowed us to introduce a new possibility as to the provenance of such coins (TROAS Larisa).

The provenance is perhap's part of folowing group :

- TROAS. Neandria
    - TROAAS Larisa
    - THRACEMACEDONIA
    - MYSIA – Proconnesus
    - ASIA MINOR. Uncertain

... TROAS may be a best selling argument than others ?

regards
François

All coins are guaranteed for eternity