Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ptolemy IV Tetrobol....  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Ptolemy IV Tetrobol....
« on: June 04, 2013, 06:47:36 am »
Hi Guys,

Following on from the conversation around here just lately, I would just like to point out how a little careful cleaning can improve a coin , even one which I was told there was " no need to clean any more... "

I however disagreed, call me old fashioned, but I like my Zeus's recognisable, so I soaked him in DW for a couple of weeks, then set to work with a sharp mini-scraper I constructed out of a sharpened bit of stainless welding rod, and a pin.

The dark encrustations are tough as old boots, and it took a couple of hours to reveal his nose and face, I was very careful not to go to deep, and when I was almost happy with the result, I removed the last stubborn flecks with the VERY gentle application of the SBBB under the tap.....

I think the result is a MUCH more attractive coin...... Here are the before and after pix... ( I did not touch the Rev. )

Any opinions ???  ;D

Lee.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Ptolemy IV Tetrobol....
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:06:36 am »
There are limits to judging a coin from a picture, whether it is for questions of cleaning or authenticity. The before picture doesn't look like a coin with removable encrustations. Of course, with hindsight, it is obvious.
Andreas Reich

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:41:43 am »
Nice work.  I would have thought there wasn't much you could do!

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:42:31 pm »
Ave!

Great job of restoration, Lee.
Your coin looks great and you did not remove any original patina. Kudos!

And that's the real problem here on the Uncleaned Coin Discussion Board.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 02:34:56 pm »
Good job so far.  Is there more that will come off?

You are a bit lucky that the black stuff was soft enough to remove.  I have had some Ptolemaic bronzes with black stuff on it that despite long DW soaks is still very very hard.  A good deal harder than the bronze below it which makes mechanical removal without damaging it almost impossible.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:15:58 pm »
Hi otlichnik,

I imagine that I could get more off if I really wanted to, but it was bloody hard work getting the coin into this state... The "black stuff" is VERY hard indeed... I was constantly resharpening my little scraper tool, ( I think it is 1.14mm / 0.045" stainless TIG rod.. the only thing I had around hard enough to do the work ) , and then I returned the coin to DW for a couple of days before the final polish with the brass rotary brush. You can see I have smoothed out the remaining black stuff a little, and this was partly to improve the appearance, but also exploratory, to see if there were any loose bits... there were not!!!  >:( !! LOL. So I think my work on this coin is done... I am happy with it now!

@ Kevin... Ave!
  Thanks for your kind words, and I could not agree more with your comment... I see far to many "DONT CLEAN IT!!!"'s for my liking on a board titled " Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  " !!  :afro:

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 08:30:18 pm »
Ave Lee!

IMO, your coin is done. Excellent job, my friend!

Like you, so many board members here opine to 'not clean it' that perhaps this board should be re-named the 'Never Clean any Coin' Board?  :evil:

Best regards,

Kevin

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 07:01:53 am »
Lee,

Then an extra congratulations is due if you have that very hard black stuff.  As I said it is almost impossible to remove in my experience without damaging the layer beneath.  I tried and gave up after making some small marks through the patina beneath and into the metal.  Very small but still I decided to abandon the cleaning.

That you were able to clean that much of without damaging the underlying parts is testament to your skill.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 12:03:36 pm »
Ave!

Great job of restoration, Lee.
Your coin looks great and you did not remove any original patina. Kudos!

And that's the real problem here on the Uncleaned Coin Discussion Board.

Best,

Kevin

I too would have thought there was nothing to clean.  I don't think, however, that is "the real problem here."  It is just a reality of working online with photos.  Also, you can always clean more later but you can't undo over-cleaning and damage.  To much not cleaning can never be a real problem.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 04:35:48 am »
 I think that my before photo clearly shows that with the exception of a corroded bit about 5 o'clock, ( circled in yellow )  the black "stuff" is sitting on top of the patina, and over most of the coin is actually filling in between the details,  indeed, I had a proud edge to start working on in several places ( circled in red ) , and was also lucky to have a raised bit on the edge of the coin right in front of Zeus's nose which I worked round to clear his face....

My point is, that with some patience, and practise, ( I would not have attempted this a year ago!! ) it IS possible to carefully clean up coins without wrecking them.... faint heart never won fair lady, as they say... Just get plenty of practise on lower quality coins first...

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 06:30:23 pm »
Ave Lee,

Good eye and steady hands, brother. Practice makes perfect. ;-)
Best,
Kevin

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 03:51:51 am »
I have to admit to having a secret weapon.... I developed diabetes a little over a year ago, and it affected my eyesight... My distance vision has degraded a little, but my close vision has improved remarkably!! I now need to remove my glasses for close work, but can actually dispense with my illuminated magnifying glass , and just use a bright table lamp for all but the most delicate tiny work!

It's funny how life throws you these double edged blades ... I would much rather not have to shove needles in myself several times a day... But it is kinda nice to have such good eyesight for my hobby now!  +++ +++ +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity