Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: BamaCS BEFORE  (Read 1289 times)

Offline BamaCS

• Auxiliary
BamaCS BEFORE
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:31:31 pm »
So this is my first entry (and I think my first post), but I've been lurking around for a good while now.

Overall I'm pretty excited about this group of coins, and I think I got lucky on a couple of them. I don't expect to even get started on these until after the semester ends, but I figured I'd go ahead and post my before post.

Some initial thoughts:

(by the way, these pictures were taken separately, so they are not all the same size)

1 and 2 - no idea currently, but it appears that much of the dirt is likely to flake off, especially on 1. I hope to find some nice detail hidden underneath, but who knows.

3 - uhh...this one is so far outside my limited knowledge base, that I'm worried about getting anywhere close on attribution. The coin also is somewhat concave which is interesting.

4 - I'm almost certain this one is going to be Gallienus, RIC 206. GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head right / INDVLGENTIA AVG, Indulgentia standing left, leaning on column, legs crossed, holding baton and cornucopiae, wheel at foot. Officina mark XI in right field. Going to do very little and gentle work on this one.

5 - I originally thought this was silvered bronze, but I now think it might just be silver. Either way, I'm pretty sure it is a Postumus antoninianusIMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right. As far as the reverse, I have absolutely no idea what is going on there, I don't know if all that stuff is some sort of deposit, or if it is corrosion (I'm inclined to think the former). Going to be very careful with this one (although I very seriously doubt I can make the reverse worse).

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: BamaCS BEFORE
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:05:52 am »
Good look with the cleaning competition BamaCS and your interesting mixture of uncleaned coins.

Regards
Martin R

Offline RoryduPondius

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:48:32 pm »
#3 is definitely a byzantine trachy ;D
I LOVE cleaning uncleaned ancients.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:22:04 pm »
#3 is definitely a byzantine trachy ;D

You do realise this competition is about cleaning, IDENTIFICATION, and photography... No hints are allowed??  ??? ??? ???

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:23:32 pm »
However... I do like that mix of coins...  ;D

Good luck BamaCS , I think you have a promising lot here!!!

Offline Alain B

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 08:49:13 pm »
Good challenge you have here, have fun in the process...

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 09:14:01 pm »
It looks like you have a fun lot there. I'm particularly fond of #4. It looks to be in pretty good condition for what it is. Almost all that I get from that ruler are in rough shape. Take it easy on that one and have fun!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity