Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with Judean bronze diesease  (Read 1264 times)

Offline J wollner

• Praetorian
Help with Judean bronze diesease
« on: December 24, 2012, 09:52:58 am »
 I know this is not the forum for this issue but I only wrote here and I’m desperate hope someone can help me. After not looking at my little Juean Collection for a while I took a peek yesterday and to my utter dismay many of my Judean Bronze pruthas have become infected with this ugly green diesease. Luckily the infected once are the cheaper once but I’m terified that the more expensive once shouldn’t become infected also. My question now is what is the simple quick way to deal with this. How do I clean the visibly infected and what should I do with the rest. I’ve looked online there’s a lot of info not sure which way to go. Hope someone can give link me to the info best for this or write me what to do. Thanks

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Help with Judean bronze diesease
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 05:06:45 pm »
Have a look at the uncleaned board. Lots of good advice there.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:14:30 pm »
Benzotriazole solution in ethyl alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of copper corrosion.
http://www.collector-antiquities.com/89/

Benzotriazole can be purchased here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=benzotriazole&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

I tried this on a prutah of Herod Agrippa I that developed round shaped bright green spots on the surface. I did not clean off the green stuff, just as an experiment. The spots got darker and not as noticeable. The condition is stable for at least two months.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:15:38 am »
Did you use benzotriazle in ethanol or in DW?  I have read that both will work.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:42:56 am »
Ave!

Greengott's Bronze Disease Killer works every time. Simple to use, no muss no fuss.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 06:00:56 pm »
Did you use benzotriazle in ethanol or in DW?  I have read that both will work.

Shawn

I used 3% solution in 200 proof ethanol. Soaked for one hour, washed with ethanol, then dried at 200 F.
Illegitimi non carborundum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity