Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Black gunk on a denarius  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Black gunk on a denarius
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:11:33 pm »
Any thoughts on getting hard back residue off the coin while preserving the toning?  Thanks

Nemo

Offline Tony A

• Consul
Re: Black gunk on a denarius
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:04:12 pm »
I think this is one of the times where you're better off leaving it "as is."
Best regards,
Tony

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 07:21:40 pm »
I've gotten it off before with lemon juice on the spots and a pick and scalpel. It seemed as though the juice did nothing and then all of a sudden it would come off. However, even though you can preserve the toning on the rest of the coin, there won't be any toning under the black stuff and it will look differently.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:14:02 am »
I've gotten it off before with lemon juice on the spots and a pick and scalpel. 

I'm going to give it a try, thanks.

Nemo

Offline Aktina

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:53:19 pm »
I have been succesfull with short 5 min baths in Hydrogen Peroxide of 6 ~ 8 percent.

I then follow with a stiff nylon brush. typically a toothbrush that I have trimmed way down.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 08:39:20 am »
Nemo,

Any progress?

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 10:49:30 pm »
Nemo,

Any progress?

Not yet, I got sidetracked with my Antiochus IV. Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to start this on tomorrow and I'll post it when it's done.  I really don't want to remove the toning from the rest of the coin so I'm going to be really careful.

Nemo

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 08:05:52 am »
Well, I have tried to remove the gunk with the localized lemon juice treatment.  It has softened a bit, kind of a slightly gooey consistency, but I have a problem.  I need greater magnification to scrape it away without scratching the coin. Any suggestions for magnification?  My current setup was about $9 from a hobby shop and is pretty lousy. 

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 08:20:45 am »
I had a denarius with similar deposits and the lemon juice/toothpick treatment worked well...it just takes time.

On the other hand, the coin looks fine as is - maybe best to leave it?

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 08:57:15 am »
I was using a dental pick, that's why I was nervous about scraping the coin.  Frankly, I'm inclined to agree that leaving it the way it is seems like the best option. Thanks for the input.

Nemo

Offline RoryduPondius

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 12:51:49 pm »
i believe you should dip a tooth pick in lemon juice dab it on the affected area and push the gunk off gently with the pick. i tried this with a azes drachm and it worked great :<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>:
I LOVE cleaning uncleaned ancients.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity