Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ... What the heck?! Not dirt! And what's this red stuff?  (Read 1544 times)

multirony

... What the heck?! Not dirt! And what's this red stuff?
« on: December 24, 2011, 12:55:32 am »
Oh, no. I really cannot believe this! It appears that all this time, I've been looking at the worn and patinated surfaces of slugs rather than dirt!!! Well, at least for some of my coins... But wow. I guess that says two things: one, I really do have a lot to learn, and two, these coins must be of horrible quality to have deceived me so! But anyways, I would like to know a few things. Firstly, are there any harsh cleaning methods that function like electrolysis that I could use on my thicker slugs that might reveal something underneath? They're worthless anyway, might as well see... Secondly, I would like some opinions on what this red residue could possibly be. After soaking my coins in oil and cleaning them up with soapy water, letting them sit in tap water temporarily, I noticed a strange reddish deposit that had formed on my coins. It scrapes off rather easily and looks sort of rusty. The coins had soaked in the oil for about a month or two. What could it be? Hmm... Pictures may be soon to come! Feel free to tell me if you think pictures would be helpful!

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Re: ... What the heck?! Not dirt! And what's this red stuff?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 01:19:26 am »
Pictures would be VERY helpful.

-Kurt

multirony

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 01:46:32 am »
Okay, I will try to use my webcam to take a picture or two tomorrow (technically today; it's 12:45 am where I am).

multirony

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 12:38:45 pm »
Here is a picture. It is hard to see, but just look for the reddish blotches on the coins... : I'm sorry if the picture is really bad, but again, I'm working within my means!!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 04:39:15 am »
Looks like you are to close for your camera to focus.  Better to take the picture further back even if the coins look very small.  If the result is sharp then it is easier to zoom into the photo and see some detail.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Aktina

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 09:09:18 am »
First off, we need a better pictures to help answer yor questions.

Second, in my 45 years of coin collecting, i am a huge advocate of electrolysis on slugs, or badly crusted coins.

Some of the best surprises that i have gotten in this hobby, have been the coins that have revelaed themself through electrolysis when every other cleaning method has failed.

Every so often, I take my "slug" jar and put those coins through electrolysis.

Most of the time, somethign great will reveal itself to me and allow me to atribute the coin.

Other times, the coins will reveal no additonal detail, or will actually crumble away. Its a hit or miss, but beats having a slug jar full of coins just sitting there !

All coins are guaranteed for eternity