Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Do I clean this coin like it is a sand patina  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Barabus

• Consul
Do I clean this coin like it is a sand patina
« on: March 18, 2011, 06:56:45 pm »
 Should I try to clean this like a sand patina or brush to clean?
 Anyone know the emperor on obverse?
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Do I clean this coin like it is a sand patina
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:53:38 pm »
Boy...I have looked at this coin a bunch of times now...hoping someone would answer! lol Before I offer any advice, I need some clarification. I cannot tell from the pic with is on the coin. At first glance it just looks like it is worn with a grainy texture, but after further looks...is it simply covered in dirt? What is the size and weight?

If it is simply dirt, start with soaks and brushing and after the dirt is gone, we can work on any encrustations that lie beneath.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 02:50:29 am »
Lol Chris, I've been thinking the same thing! It almost looks like that is it. Then again it looks like it may be dirt!

IMO it kind of looks like the detail on the coin is held on there by that "dirt" or "patina". Too hard to tell by the photo. I could be totally wrong but be careful you dont just brush it all away! I've done it before :)

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:21:26 am »
 This coin is 25mm and 8.2 g and it is dirt on the coin! Any idea on Emperor,so I can find an example to know how to clean?

After an over night soak in dw,it appears that the coin has some porosity beneath the dirt.This coin may have been cleaned before and recovered in dirt.
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:34:14 am »
From the picture it looks like it was brutally cleaned before and is rough and porous. Can you get a better picture?
Andreas Reich

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 11:39:08 am »
It could possibly be Elagabalus from Nikopolis ad Istrum...but Pautalia produced a bunch of these rev types as well.

Chris

PS I would like to echo areich, any chance of better pics?
C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:37:54 pm »
 After soaking all night<I brushed it with a tooth brush under running water. It has been harsly cleaned before and has lots of porosity to it. I will put it in the bad coins pile.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 12:51:43 pm »

I think that this coin is from Augusta Traiana by Gallienus.
Varbanov (Engl.) 1412.

Pekka K

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 03:14:26 pm »
 Thank all of you!

DirtyBronze

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 12:50:47 pm »
to me that looks like it might have some potential - it looks like a brassy one that may or may not have a very grainy surface covered in mud with some green on it. I'd keep trying on that one

All coins are guaranteed for eternity