Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Advice on Coin Cleaning  (Read 1480 times)

Offline driekus

• Consul
Advice on Coin Cleaning
« on: April 17, 2010, 04:32:39 pm »
I have finally made it around half way through my first batch of uncleaned coins. The first two images with the 8 coins labelled 1-8 are the coins that Im fairly happy with. Any comments would be appreciated.

The second lot of images are the coins that have been soaking and subject to some mechanical cleaning.
coin a) Im hesitant to mechanically clean this coin, any advice appreciated
coin d) I really have no idea what to do here, it is like copper is showing through in small parts but has multi colour corrosion on others.
coin g) blackish patina Im not sure what to do with other than mechanical clean.
coin h) I tried to mechanically clean this coin using a dental pick, but as particularly evident on the reverse when I started to dig too deep I hit solid brown surface.
coin i) Parts of the coin show heavy corrosion and when subject to mechanical cleaning I seem to hit solid metal or white corrosion

Any advice and help would be appreciated. Im getting some better mechanical cleaning tools soon, so this may help my situation.
Once I get through my stash of uncleaned coins I think Im going to try a batch of the Forvm wholesale lots. Just have to wait for the right lot to come along.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Advice on Coin Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 05:27:53 pm »
I have no idea what they looked like before but the ones you're happy with you should be very happy with,
not a single one that looks overcleaned and I'm glad that none of these look like they've been in oil.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline driekus

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:40:09 pm »
I was planning on waxing them very lightly when my Ren wax arrives. Would you recommend against waxing or were you pointing out that they werent cleaned in olive oil?

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 12:47:30 pm »
Waxing or not waxing is an emotional subject for some reason. I wouldn't do it but others think differently.
I dislike coins soaked in oil and I'm glad you didn't. Especially such pretty greens like the ones at the bottom left get darkened by oil. They not only get darker but unattractive and I don't think you can ever undo that completely.

The problem is that when people google coin cleaning most of the hits talk about throwing them in olive oil so many people do that.
Andreas Reich

DirtyBronze

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 08:01:17 pm »
very well done - when you get really good you can touch a few of the nicer ones up - until then, put them aside

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 02:49:57 pm »
I seal some and leave others, it really depends on the coin.
All the best,
Nathan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity