Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is there any hope for improving appearance of this coin  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Barabus

• Consul
Is there any hope for improving appearance of this coin
« on: April 16, 2009, 01:21:12 pm »
 I purchased this coin yesterday and have not received it yet,so the photo is the dealers.

Vespasian,26 mm and 11.1g.It was listed as a dupondius.
 Obv-IMP CAES VESP AVG P M PP COS VI
 REV-FELICITAS PVBLIC S-C

Does anyone think that its appearance can be improved?
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: Is there any hope for improving appearance of this coin
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 04:58:02 pm »
its hard to tell from the pics(for me), maybe a soak in warm water and a light brushing with a tooth brush.

gavignano

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:09:07 pm »
i don't think you could improve it much!!
IMO, if I can offer, if it is a dup, and I'm not 100% sure it is, its really quite a decent one considering the level of wear - often these coins look pretty beat up.

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 11:52:10 am »
 Thank you for your help and comment.Yes,I'm not sure its a dupondius,that was the sellers description.Once I get it in hand,I'll be able to tell more.
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:12:12 pm »
Try boiling in destilled water plus detergent (and/or soda). This may solve the oils and uncover/brighten sand and patina residues.

By this method you may get more contrast on the coin by increasing the rough areas and reducing the polished shining surface.

Some tricky guys glue dust or sand in deeper areas of their overcleaned, shiny ruins and create artificial sand patinas hiding corrosion and defects - but that´s a far out method often used by crooks.

But if you manage to attach a fine dust to improve the contrast and general appearance, increasing details and hiding nothing, just for your own pleasure - why not.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity