Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: as good as it's going to get?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
as good as it's going to get?
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:01:07 pm »
Hi,
Any suggestions for this beat up Postumus? Am I done?
IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG , (IMP) COS V Victory standing right holding palm and wreath.  Any idea where it was minted?
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: as good as it's going to get?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:16:33 pm »
Maybe boiling in soda solution may help to reduce the red corrosion spots and turn the colour to silver-billon gray.
Try it out but stop immediately if it´s getting worse.

I think this was minted in Cologne, emission 20, 267-8 AD ( rated scarce).

regards

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 02:13:24 pm »
excellent idea! Thanks, I didn't think of boiling it in soda.  Carbonate, bi-carbonate or sesquicarbonate (sound like a bartender)?
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

CzarMike

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:01:27 pm »
excellent idea! Thanks, I didn't think of boiling it in soda.  Carbonate, bi-carbonate or sesquicarbonate (sound like a bartender)?
Raymond
There are a few topics on it I am pretty sure they all said that there is no difference between sesqui and bi.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 10:56:43 am »
I may be wrong, but I thought that sesquicarbonate was a combonation of carbonate and bi-carbonate...no matter, when doing bronze disease soaks I use sesquicarbonate and when just doing cleaning soaks I use carbonate (washing soda -Arm and Hammer to be exact).

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity