Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aurelian has chickenpox  (Read 1122 times)

Offline fordicus

• Consul
Aurelian has chickenpox
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:37:27 am »
I've worked on this Aurelian piece for a while now and I seem to have hit a wall. I've done soaks/scrubs, I've removed as much of the reddish boils as possible with the help of a microscope and scalpel and now nothing seems to make a dent. I think this coin has much potential but I'm out of ideas on how to finish the job. For the most part, the coin has great detail, especially on this portrait and now I'm finding myself worried that soak/scrub will damage the obverse and that the scalpel under magnification isn't doing much of anything anymore. I throw myself and a sick Aurelian on the mercy of the coin cleaning pro's  ;)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Aurelian has chickenpox
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:29:24 am »
Fordicus, as much as I hate to say it, but, those red boils are more likely than not originating from the depths of your coin. The only thing to do with those coins (usually, and as far as I ahve found) is to slowly reduce the bumps with a diamond dusted tool of your choice and stop at the general surface of the coin. The problem with that is that after you are done reducing, the red spots will be pretty bright and "in-your-face". You may actually be done.

Chris

PS nice looking portrait:)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline larry c

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:54:36 am »
Chris is right, those red spots go deep into the fabric.
Just smooth them flush is all you can do, or else leave a crater.
I've used JAX brown/ black to tone down those glaring red measles
with some success :)
“Do you have the patience to do nothing"

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 12:25:45 am »
Ave!

This may sound odd coming form me, but I actually think the coin is done... :police:

These type of  "boils", as Chris and Larry mentioned, tend to hide either red crap or worse, deep pitting.

In this case, I'd rub it with Deller's, allow the sheen to subside, then wax and flip. Fordicus, you've a nice, attributable coin.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity