Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

How should I proceed with this coin

clean it to show as much silver as possible
8 (57.1%)
clean it to show the silver on high spots
3 (21.4%)
leave it as is
3 (21.4%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: silvered Salonina question  (Read 6590 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re: silvered Salonina question
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 11:32:32 pm »
Ave!

that was fast cleaning, but the trick is the wet cleaning :)
I should charge you folks for those advises :evil: I destroied so many coins to learen, and dont like you to destroy so many of your coins and waste so much time.
and the most I hate is to see a nice coin that can clean nice and get damaged >:(
as a start dont go deep in the detailes try to clean the way I did, when you practis more then you can go littel deaper.
regards
Salem

Nine or ten years ago I came across a Very Rare silvered Probus Ant. After many hours of only mechcanical cleaning, it was 99% finished, and shining nearly like new. Dreams of "big bucks" were in my thoughts. There was one tiny bit of green near the center of the Rx that I wanted to remove to make the coin "perfect".

I apparenty pressed to too hard with a common dental pick (before I discovered DDDPs), the coin broke into three parts, breaking my heart, as well.

Doh! Riches to ruin.... :'(

Thanks again salem

Fortunately,  this is only  the second coin  that I can say I destroyed,  and hopefully the last

some were not as nice  as they could have been ,  some turned out fantastic....

I tried to rush things on this one,  and it did not work.  but I did learn  from it  so it's not a total loss

Edited<<<I'm glad you don't charge for the cleaning help, I'd be broke and have no money for coins :)

cheers

Johnny, if this is the last coin you screw up, it will be a first!  :o

We all do it, me more times than I like to admit.  ::)

You, and everyone else, must accept the idea that you'll mess up a few coins here or there. As I have stated many times before, cleaning ancient coins really is an Art, rather than a Science. It takes lots of practise and learning from your mistakes, and from your successes, as well.

I keep my "oops" coins on the base of my work lamp, when I start getting too agressive they remind me to take a break. Rome wasn't built in a day, it's coin won't be cleaned by Saturday! at least by me! ;D

Exactly!

To All; FYI, I'm doing my best to add a free download of my "The Art of Cleaning Ancient Coins" to my webshop.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Peter Williams

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 12:05:44 am »
Just found your free PDF download, Kevin. Thanks for this, just the sort of thing I've been after. Left you a +ve review ;)

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 12:16:30 am »
Kevin
I damaged many hundred of coins befor I reach this point, my friend Joseph Sermarini was always telling my that I am bad cleaner, but now I am learning a new thing every day, and still do damage coins from time to time, if I dont recognize the right dirt and identify it I might miss up the coin.
we are all learning  ;D
regards
Salem

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 07:40:42 pm »
LOL,,  that why I use electric razor,  no chance of hurting myself   ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity