Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Visibility of pictures  (Read 785 times)

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Visibility of pictures
« on: January 20, 2022, 09:08:41 pm »
I wonder what is the reason that nearly all pictures are visible only after logging. This is against the rules of attracting new users. When accidental guest will come to forum he will find this place less interesting than it really is. Many threads without pictures are simply incomprehensible.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
Re: Visibility of pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 02:34:29 am »
I would like to renew the thread. Five days passed and no one commented. Do others have the same? I think the problem is global - you can't see any pictures until you log in.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 11:57:13 am »
As far as I am aware it has always been like that. The pictures are only available to be viewed by FORVM members.

Alex.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 12:14:51 pm »
The pictures are only available to be viewed by FORVM members.

But what is the reason for this strange feature? For me it is obvious that FORVM should attract accidental viewers.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 01:22:44 pm »
I think that it was an incentive to get people to join FORVM and participate. It is not as though it is difficult to become a member.

Alex

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 01:45:57 pm »
I think that it was an incentive to get people to join FORVM and participate.

Probably. But I still believe that nice forum with great pictures is the best motivation for registering. Why should accidental guest bother to register on numismatic forum when there is no pictures of coins?
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 05:15:50 pm »
If someone wants to see photos, they should register.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 07:14:00 pm »
But why would anyone want to see photos if he has no idea that thread he found by Google is full of photos? There is no info: "Please, register to see photos in this thread".
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 07:37:02 pm »
I think it helps filter out the non-serious viewers.  Viewers landing in the coin shop will always see the photos and the galleries are open, also.

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 01:03:10 pm »
I think that if the forum owner decides that the pictures should not be displayed, there should be a note "if you want to see the picture, you must log in" - it's possible, I've seen it on other forums. If there is no such thing, such threads look full of broken links, as if no one cared about posting useful content for years, but was only used to temporarily identify coins.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 04:24:01 pm »
I agree. I am usually logged in all the time and I leave the tab open. There have been times when it took me a while to realize that I wasn't logged in any longer and thought there was an issue on the site because I couldn't see photos. And I am an experienced Forum user. I see the argument from both sides as far as showing photos, but a notice telling you what you are missing would be a good thing.

Virgil

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Strange things happen
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 09:33:12 am »
Now not only pictures but the whole Discussion Board is visible only to logged users. So one cannot give friend a link to interesting thread or post because he will see only a white page. Completely nothing. I think it's very confusing and I don't understand why such "feature" was adopted.

Also all links to threads and posts in Discussion Board indexed by Google are dead. It looks like as if these pages no longer exist.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
Re: Strange things happen
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 10:04:30 am »
Now not only pictures but the whole Discussion Board is visible only to logged users. So one cannot give friend a link to interesting thread or post because he will see only a white page. Completely nothing. I think it's very confusing and I don't understand why such "feature" was adopted.

Also all links to threads and posts in Discussion Board indexed by Google are dead. It looks like as if these pages no longer exist.
I have the same. Three computers, two different locations, different windows versions, different browsers - when I'm not logged on,  blank page appears. Oddly enough the http return code is 200, so everything should be all right - as if displaying a blank page depended on the forum software itself.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 10:34:09 am »
Same here, though my settings normally have me always logged in.
Strangely Lech's little waving flag gif is not visible for me on google, but is fine on firefox.
I have refreshed my cache to no avail. Only a small point, the site is working fine for me overall.

Alex

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 02:33:57 am »
It seems the anonymous visibility of the forum has been fixed. I saw three quests and I can see forum in a different browser even though I was not logged in.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2022, 10:05:25 pm »
Are you sure this is the case, since I have had had different results. I am logged in almost all the time on two different computers and the results are always different. It is as if it seems the software does not like people being logged in on multiple devices at the same time, possibly a spam defense or something. It is a minor problem for me, but I also never refer posts to nonmembers. And given what I have learned here, I won't in future. It is a strange system, one that I generally like a lot better than the modern Facebook type stuff, so I will take it any day. There is a retro element that I appreciate a lot more than modern Internet sites.

Regards,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity