Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help Me Identify If This Coin is Fake  (Read 591 times)

Offline Jack L3

• Auxiliary
Help Me Identify If This Coin is Fake
« on: January 15, 2022, 01:44:21 am »
Hello,
I have spent quite a few days trying to identify this coin or if it was even real. The coin is from ancient Rome and displays Augustus Ceaser's portrait on one side and on the other it shows a goddess seated on a rock, palm in right hand, river-god Orontes swimming right below. I am certain that the coin is silver I did clean it today as it had a fair bit of black gunk built up on top of it. The coin is approx. 24mm wide. I am unable to accurately weigh it but I estimate it to be around 5g (0.18 ounces) Below are images of the rim of the coin and close-ups of the metal. I acquired the coin from an antique store in a pack of random coins from around the globe but this one caught my eye. I found a similar coin at this website: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=75367q00.jpg&vpar=383&zpg=85958&fld= This coin has the same writing and identical image of Augustus but on the back the two letters to the left of the palm leaf are different and that coin is a tetradrachm and mine is a denarius. I have spent many hours researching and this was the best I could find.
Please do not hesitate to reply, I am literally desperate.
Thanks,
Jack.
P.S. sorry is you saw my last post I accidentally posted without finishing it

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Help Me Identify If This Coin is Fake
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 02:01:29 am »

Compare to this tetradrachm from Antioch:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/4159

Your coin looks like cast copy, and the weight is far off.

Pekka K

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 02:25:09 am »
Hi folks,

Being someone who specializes in collecting coins of Augustus, I agree with Pekka. It looks fake to me too.

Meepzorp

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 08:11:23 am »

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 05:14:34 pm »
Definitely a cast fake.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 07:37:28 pm »
The filed down rim is a clue, but more important for me were the raised rims/lip on both sides and the soft details - as the softness is even throughout all parts and levels of the coins (e.g. highlights and lower relief) - it does not come from wear but from the casting.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity