Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Lindgren Collection online  (Read 3861 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
The Lindgren Collection online
« on: November 23, 2015, 08:38:38 pm »
I'm not quite sure where to add this information to. Perhaps we should have a
section for adding "useful websites"...
It's 474 coins from the Lindgren Coin Collection on the website of the San Francisco State
University:
https://diva.sfsu.edu/collections/sfsum/9242?page=1

However, their numbering system do not correspond to those in the actual Lindgren
volumes, for example, taking a coin at random, their coin 03.235 (Philip I of Tarsos
with Elpis reverse is Lindgren I 1638.

But no doubt a useful website. (Sorry if's already been posted)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: The Lindgren Collection online
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 10:54:47 pm »
Thanks for posting.  I don't recognize their cataloging system at all.

I always thought Lindgren was a psychology professor and not a classicist, but the website says otherwise.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 02:56:08 am »
I´m not going to pretend that i know Lindgrens whole background, but i was also of the same mind that he was a professor of psychology.

Great news that the San Fransisco state university decided to upload Lindgrens collection, ideally it would have been nice to have been able to insert a catalogue number into the search engine and jump to any coin of interest.

I suppose one reason for not using the catalogue numbers could be that Lindgrens collection is now far from being complete, for example i have three ex. Lindgren coins in my collection.  

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 07:52:25 pm »
As I mentioned several years ago, one of the Lindgren sales was sold by Antioch Associates
and hosted on the wildwinds server to save them having to rent new webspace and pay the
hosting and registration fees etc.
Dave (Surber) kept all the images, although many are quite poor. I offered to
re-upload the files to the wildwinds server if anyone was interested, but there were no replies,
so I just stuck the files on a Zip drive and deleted them from my harddisk in order to save
space.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:11:51 pm »
I always thought Lindgren was a psychology professor and not a classicist, but the website says otherwise.

Lindgren/Kovacs, 1985, Foreward: Lindgren acquired many of the coins "during two periods, spanning five years, spent as visiting professor of psychology at the American University of Beirut."
Curtis Clay

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 12:29:29 am »

Lindgren/Kovacs, 1985, Foreward: Lindgren acquired many of the coins "during two periods, spanning five years, spent as visiting professor of psychology at the American University of Beirut."

I think Nick's point is that the university website should have credited Lindgren with the qualifications which he actually used during his working career. I'm sure Lindgren would have described himself to others as a psychology professor rather than as an emeritus professor of classics. It sort of airbrushed away his entire working career to mention the 'emeritus' bit and not mention the 'actual'.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 03:11:24 am »
As I mentioned several years ago, one of the Lindgren sales was sold by Antioch Associates
and hosted on the wildwinds server.
Dave (Surber) kept all the images.

For those of you whom were elsewhere (including moi), here is Danes original post.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=65302.0

P.S Do you still have the Zip drive ?

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 09:43:15 am »
Dane:

Lindgren had a very large Alexandrian collection (over 1000 coins) which were not published and I assume they were sold through his Antioch Associate buy or bid sale. I had a number of his sales pages but not a lot of them. There were a number of interesting Alexandrian coins and I just purchased a few for my collection. I sent a few pictures to RPC3 but I do not think any images entered that catalog, but some comments about them did get added.

I just recently scanned an unpublished Maximian picture from one of the lists and I noted that there was another one in the SF museum.

Is it possible to see the images on the zip drive?

Iwaniw

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 11:09:40 am »

I think Nick's point is that the university website should have credited Lindgren with the qualifications which he actually used during his working career. I'm sure Lindgren would have described himself to others as a psychology professor rather than as an emeritus professor of classics. It sort of airbrushed away his entire working career to mention the 'emeritus' bit and not mention the 'actual'.

Andrew,

You imply that the university website is correct to call Lindgren an emeritus professor of classics, so do you think he was formally given that title, presumably because of his classical coin collection, upon retiring as professor of psychology?

I had assumed this was simply an error on the website: it would be very odd indeed if a professor of psychology suddenly became "emeritus professor of classics" upon retirement!

The San Francisco Chronicle, in any case, called Lindgren an "emeritus professor of psychology", with no mention of "classics", in its obituary of Lindgren on 20 June 2005:

"Henry Clay Lindgren, an emeritus professor of psychology at San Francisco State University and a renowned collector of rare coins, died June 12 of heart failure at his home in San Francisco. He was 91.

"Professor Lindgren taught at the university for almost four decades before retiring in 1984. He wrote many books and journal articles and also edited several books of readings. His book "Meaning: An Antidote to Anxiety" was his most philosophical, said his daughter, Loretta Lindgren Voorhees."
Curtis Clay

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 11:18:51 am »

Andrew,

You imply that the university website is correct to call Lindgren an emeritus professor of classics, so do you think he was formally given that title, presumably because of his classical coin collection, upon retiring as professor of psychology?

I had assumed this was simply an error on the website: it would be very odd indeed if a professor of psychology suddenly became "emeritus professor of classics" upon retirement!

The San Francisco Chronicle, in any case, called Lindgren an "emeritus professor of psychology", with no mention of "classics", in its obituary of Lindgren on 20 June 2005:

"Henry Clay Lindgren, an emeritus professor of psychology at San Francisco State University and a renowned collector of rare coins, died June 12 of heart failure at his home in San Francisco. He was 91.

"Professor Lindgren taught at the university for almost four decades before retiring in 1984. He wrote many books and journal articles and also edited several books of readings. His book "Meaning: An Antidote to Anxiety" was his most philosophical, said his daughter, Loretta Lindgren Voorhees."

Curtis

I said plainly that the University were wrong to omit the psychology professorship. That was my point.

I wasn't implying anything else although at the time of writing my reply I'd assumed he had been granted some later emeritus classics professorship also. With your quote above, it seems they were also wrong to mention a classics professorship. In fact it's apparently all wrong, and should be corrected. It is a university after all.

Andrew

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 08:41:29 am »
Hi folks,

I am just reading this thread now because I've been busy lately.

I knew Mr. Lindgren quite well. I spent countless hours speaking to him on the phone, and I purchased literally hundreds of coins from him. But I never met him in person. I have 2 of his reference books, which he hand-signed for me.

Yes, he was a professor of psychology.

And there is something else I'd like to point out. I think it is sort of implied here in this thread (Arados alluded to it). But no one has actually come forward and outright stated it. And I suspect that most "regular" members of Forum are already aware of this. On several different occasions during my numerous conversations with Mr. Lindgren, he told that he was donating his "leftover" coins to that university. And, when I use the term "leftover", I am, of course, referring to his coins that didn't sell, either through his auctions or his fixed price lists. This is an important point. This obviously implies that whatever coins from the Lindgren collection that are at that university are not his entire collection. They are just a small percentage of it, maybe 10% or so. And those are the coins that no one wanted.

However, that being stated, I think that any record of a portion of the Lindgren collection would be useful.

Of course, I am in the process of building my website now. Whatever coins I purchased from Mr. Lindgren are now being photographed by me and posted online. And I am making a notation in my text description ("ex Lindgren colllection") whenever I post a Lindgren coin. For many of these coins (particularly the ones purchased from his fixed price lists), this is the first time that they have ever been photographed. His auction coins were usually photographed (but I don't think in color), but not his fixed price list coins.

Unfortunately, I don't think that a photographic record of the entire Lindgren collection will ever be possible. The moment has passed. His collection is literally scattered all over the place at this time, probably in dozens (or hundreds) of different collections. Perhaps the best thing to do at this point is for everyone to do something similar to what I am doing and post online (either in a gallery or a website) photos of whatever Lindgren coins that they may have, of course, with a notation stating that this specific coin is from the Lindgren collection.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 08:53:39 am »
Dane:

Lindgren had a very large Alexandrian collection (over 1000 coins) which were not published and I assume they were sold through his Antioch Associate buy or bid sale. I had a number of his sales pages but not a lot of them. There were a number of interesting Alexandrian coins and I just purchased a few for my collection. I sent a few pictures to RPC3 but I do not think any images entered that catalog, but some comments about them did get added.

Iwaniw

Hi Iwa,

I purchased numerous Egypt, Alexandria, Augustus/Livia AE coins from Mr. Lindgren. I will eventually be posting photos of all of them in my website.

One of those coins is one of my bronze disease coins, which I discussed at length in my BD thread. It had a hidden countermark, which was revealed during treatment.

Meepzorp

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 09:25:35 pm »
Quote from: Arados

I still have diskettes of Windows 2.0 in my drawer upstairs. I never throw any
kind of storage medium away (hence 3 drawers full of diskettes and zips in the
library desk upstairs and a cupboard full of Tupperware in the attic, haha).

I'd have to think about how to do it. Maybe zip or rar them to save space. I'll put it
on my to do list and write again here when I have sorted them out.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 02:35:24 am »
Quote from: Arados

I still have diskettes of Windows 2.0 in my drawer upstairs. I never throw any
kind of storage medium away (hence 3 drawers full of diskettes and zips in the
library desk upstairs and a cupboard full of Tupperware in the attic, haha).

I'd have to think about how to do it. Maybe zip or rar them to save space. I'll put it
on my to do list and write again here when I have sorted them out.

I´m sure there will be many FORVM members including myself who will appreciate the time and effort this endeavour will take you.

Thanks

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 05:08:01 pm »
Unfortunately the university has now closed access to their Lindgren collection - you need to be a university member with a log-in and password to access it. It's a pity that they want to keep this valuable resource to themselves

All coins are guaranteed for eternity