Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Gold Ring  (Read 1413 times)

Sibs

Roman Gold Ring
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:53:05 am »
I thought I would share an image of a unique Roman ring I unearthed last month in Vinkovci, Croatia.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Roman Gold Ring
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:30:34 am »
Wow!  Very neat.  Any sign it had another side piece with the white "eye" that has broken off or did it just have the one?

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Sibs

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 11:27:05 am »
No, just the one, the ring is complete. My best single artefact find ever.

Offline Platon

• Consul
  • To show the fly the way out of the fly-bottle.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 06:53:49 pm »
Very interesting, I wonder if the "eye" serves any practical function or if it is merely a design element.

Sibs

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:44:54 am »
The museum says it is to ward of evil. The tiny engraving on the green jewel of a mouse nibbling grapes is supposed to be a symbol of luck, so I guess it's to bring luck and ward off evil. The lady who lost it wasn't so lucky though!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 01:09:40 am »
It's a beautiful piece!

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:05:04 am »
Hi Sibs,

Congratulations on a spectacular find!

I looked in several books to see if the basic design of your ring appeared in other parts of the ancient Roman world but could not find any - except one. It is a bronze ring, "Late Roman", see Marshall, F.H. Catalogue of the Finger Rings Greek, Etruscan and Roman in the Departments of Antiquities British Museum, London, 1907 (re-printed 1968) Number 1450, Plate XXXIII. Yours is much better... This book is online.
     See: http://archive.org/stream/cataloguefinger00marsgoog#page/n5/mode/2up

Russ

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 10:59:24 am »
Hi Sibs,

Could you post a photo of an impression of the intaglio?

Was the museum able to identify the stone? Is it a beryl, a chrysophrase,  peridot or an emerald? Since it was engraved, we can more or less eliminate the green ruby or sapphire. The origin of ancient emeralds is controversial, almost as controversial as chronologies.
     Pliny the Elder wrote of the smaragdus in Vol xxxvll, 16, so translucent/transparent green stones were known by his time. Egypt supposedly had two emerald mines, one at Coptos and the other, far to the south, in Ethiopia; the latter was known to Juba. Greens stones, peridot?, were found on an island in the Red Sea, during the reign of Ptolemy II. Emeralds were extremely rare in the ancient world. It would be amazing if your stone turned out to be one!A rare gem would have deserved its gold setting.
     The museum said it was a talisman to ward off evil. The emerald was supposed to blind serpents and to test this the skeptical Arab merchant Ahmed Teifashi, circa 1242 AD, placed the emerald on the end of a stick and waved it in from of a viper and it was blinded by the emerald. Personally, I would not try this today.
     Just curious...
Russ

Sibs

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 08:40:27 pm »
Hi Sibs,

Congratulations on a spectacular find!

I looked in several books to see if the basic design of your ring appeared in other parts of the ancient Roman world but could not find any - except one. It is a bronze ring, "Late Roman", see Marshall, F.H. Catalogue of the Finger Rings Greek, Etruscan and Roman in the Departments of Antiquities British Museum, London, 1907 (re-printed 1968) Number 1450, Plate XXXIII. Yours is much better... This book is online.
     See:http://archive.org/stream/cataloguefinger00marsgoog#page/n5/mode/2up

Russ

Thanks for that link, a very useful book.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity