Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me if this "Roman" ring is authentic?  (Read 24810 times)

L S

Can anyone tell me if this "Roman" ring is authentic?
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:56:36 am »
Hi, sorry to ask a favour on my very first post here, I've scoured the forum and checked elsewhere on the web and can't find anything about this particular style of ring (probably not a good sign already). I bought it on eBay from a seller who I couldn't find any complaints about, and who wasn't listed on any "fake" lists. Tried to do my research with what little knowledge I have and can't find any evidence one way or the other.

The ring is supposedly Roman, 1st to 2nd century AD. It is stated as composed of bronze and glass, cleaned on the outside with the original patina still on the inside. I can't seem to find any similar-looking rings online.

The actual specimen fits on my finger (UK R / US 8 3/4) and seems suspiciously devoid of any scratches or dents, although the shape isn't perfectly round and the circumference edges aren't perfectly parallel, if that makes sense.

I have attached the seller's photos from the listing for now since it just arrived this morning and I'm at work, so haven't had time to take photos of my own yet!

If it's not genuine, well, I won't be surprised. I didn't pay a huge amount for it (about £35) and mainly bought it because I liked the style and intend to wear it (hence why I bought it 'cleaned up' - I know that detracts from the value). So I won't be completely disappointed, but will feel slightly bad about funding a seller of fake items.

Thank you very much to anyone who could give me any insight on this.

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
Re: Can anyone tell me if this "Roman" ring is authentic?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:15:00 pm »
35 pounds for this ring?!

First of all i dont understand why some people clean ancient finds. Ancient coins,rings or anything else are authentic only with original PATINA on them. Even if they have dirt or sand it is much better... i like them dirty because that means they are found with metaldetector.

Second i dont understand is why some people pay abnormal amounts for rings in this condition because their condition is- destroyed.

Maybe in other countries this is good conditions, i dont really know, but in my country rings in this condition are 1$ each.

This is how ring should look like to be authentic(see picture).

Finally, i want to say that i doubt someone can surely say is your ring authentic or not...

L S

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:16:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies - yes I suppose it would be difficult to verify if it's real or not, especially only from a photo. I can't even find any other Roman rings in that design, with the little 'clasps' on the bezel (not sure what the correct term is).

It does have the patina still on the inside, maybe there's a way to get that tested, but probably not worth it for the price. I bought it in this cleaned condition because I wanted to wear it, and because I knew it still had the inside patina. It probably isn't worth what I paid for it, since it's just bronze, but as a piece of attractive jewellery I don't consider it a bad price - I didn't buy it as an investment, but I would  be pleased if it was actually Roman.

I actually got more information from the seller after asking some questions, again it's just their word, but they said it came from a lot of finds made in the south of Scotland, Wales, and Wiltshire, but they don't know which it's from specifically. So if it's real, it's apparently a UK find, which would make me happy since I'm in the UK, but I'm still sceptical, it sounds a bit too convenient...

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:40:25 pm »
Well,if you will wear it than thats something else... im talking like colector.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:56:27 pm »
It's probably what it looked like when it was new.  I have several bronze rings and intaglio's.  These rings come to market with no historical context so really we can't learn anything from it.  I've even put ancient intaglio's in modern settings and wear them quite often.  Even lost one intaglio!  Wear it and enjoy it in good health!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 08:44:00 pm »
Quote from: Viminacium on August 16, 2012, 12:15:00 pm
35 pounds for this ring?!

First of all i dont understand why some people clean ancient finds. Ancient coins,rings or anything else are authentic only with original PATINA on them. Even if they have dirt or sand it is much better... i like them dirty because that means they are found with metaldetector.

Second i dont understand is why some people pay abnormal amounts for rings in this condition because their condition is- destroyed.

Maybe in other countries this is good conditions, i dont really know, but in my country rings in this condition are 1$ each.

This is how ring should look like to be authentic(see picture).

Finally, i want to say that i doubt someone can surely say is your ring authentic or not...

Please do not quote price on this board.  We don't live where you do.  Forum cannot buy an ancient ring for $1 or even close to that price.  We certainly cannot sell them for that.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

L S

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 04:21:09 am »
Please do not quote price on this board.  We don't live where you do.  Forum cannot buy an ancient ring for $1 or even close to that price.  We certainly cannot sell them for that.

Sorry about that, I'll keep it in mind not to mention price in future posts.

Anyway thanks very much to everyone for the replies, at least the fact that no-one can immediately say "that design is not Roman!" or similar gives me hope. It will just add to the mystery, and I'll enjoy wearing it wherever it's from  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity