Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 22 Roman rings  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
22 Roman rings
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:36:14 am »
Hi everyone

Rings from my collection…

I ask to know the meaning of the depicted and the allegory.
Your opinions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for each news.

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: 20 Roman rings
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 07:42:44 am »

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 08:08:39 am »
more act...

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 08:30:02 am »
more att.

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:42:26 am »
more...

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 08:51:10 am »
more - end

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: 22 Roman rings
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 10:39:27 am »
I don't have the answers you are seeking but I enjoyed looking at your rings.  You have a very nice collection
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Syltorian

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 01:11:24 pm »
Nice collection.

I'd be interested to read some answers here too. I believe I can offer something on 016 (the Christogram - Chi crossing the stem of a Rho, the first two letters of the name Christos in Greek - is famous enough) and 0017. The inscription on the latter reads (to me) "PATRICI VIVAS", with a ligature on the VA, so "Patricius, may you live". While technically the vocative in -us nouns of this declension should be -e, -i occurs occasionally (notably in "fili"). Patricius as a cognomen is attested from the Late Empire. So perhaps the ring was owned by a Patricius, given to a Patricius, or born by someone of the household and/or clientela of Patricius. The inscription "VIVAS" also seems to be rather common on Late Empire rings: the context has been tied to Christianity (largely if extended to vivas in deo, may you live in God) (cf. Ch. Thomas, Christianity in Roman Britain to AD 500).

As to the others, all I could offer would be guesses. I'm not sure whether depictions on rings always have to mean something, though they often could: there are the famous signets of Pompey and Sulla showing their victories, there are puns, birth-signs (Augustus' Capricorn, although he wasn't a Capricorn...), and a few are tied to gnosticism and magical protection (if they contain protective spirits like Abraxas/Abrasax or characteres magicae), but I would not exclude people wore a ring with a hare because they liked rabbits. Pliny does tell us a bit about such rings (fancifully attributing their invention to Prometheus). He tells us Augustus began by using a sphinx, not of his own choice, but because he found two such rings in his mother's possessions (Pliny, NH.37.10), but discarded them to avoid jokes about the riddles of the sphinx; the interpretation came thus after the ring, not the other way around (if there Attia had a reason to make rings with a sphinx, we aren't told them); Maecenas apparently used a frog: again, Pliny does not tell us whether there is a story behind this, or whether Maecenas liked frogs.

0024 and 0026 also seem to bear inscriptions, but I offer much help with them. The first looks like a mother-bird feeding her chick or two birds fighting over a worm, together with the legend AVA. I would think it rather risky to give in to the temptation of linking it, even if only on the level of a pun with avis, bird. 0026  seems to carry the letters CTTVS, although I'm having difficulty distinguishing them clearly.  002 might be letters, S.R. (?). All of this might be abbreviations of names, sentences... or something else. For 003, one avenue to explore might be characteres magicae, but really, that's only desperation at the moment.

I hope the first paragraph helped somewhat, and that the speculative and tentative proposals in the last do the job of getting someone else to have a closer look.

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 07:55:10 am »
Thanks Joe
Thanks Syltorian

026 - Silver ring - Antelope nurses its little one - legende  SPECTATVS.

Best regards.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity