Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze ring  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Shandorr

• Consul
Bronze ring
« on: January 29, 2011, 02:30:36 pm »
I guess it was from the Middle Ages, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately, the partially damaged.
I'm not an expert for the rings, so I can not determine the epoch in which it was made. Weight is 8.4 grams.
Shandorr

Offline majorcvs

• Consul
  • Klaatu barada nikto
Re: Bronze ring
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:02:32 am »
Shandorr, It looks to me like a Roman 10th Legion ring. 10th Legion rings often have an 'X' usually in the center as this one does. It would help to know where it came from but probably in the Balkans and most likely Bulgaria. Too bad it cannot be repaired so you could wear it.

EZ
"Barbarians.....do not destroy this earth!"

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 03:30:08 pm »
Design is definitely  Roman but as to it being from LEG X I'm not so sure.  Just because it has an X doesn't mean it's the tenth legion.  Really no way of proving or disproving it.

Plus we know where LEG X was located and stationed for a very long time and it was not in the Balkan's.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 05:34:32 pm »
Plus we know where LEG X was located and stationed for a very long time and it was not in the Balkan's.

I know a Welsh guy who had an SAS emblem tattood on his shoulder, and used to tell people he met in the pub about how he had just come back from some mission or another.  He had never even been in the military, let alone the SAS, although he may have been to Hereford maybe!

The reason I mention this because despite whatever the answer on the ring is, wouldn't it be fun to speculate about some guy in the Balkans wandering around claiming that he was an officer in LEG X.  Maybe in an effort to try and impress the ladies, or to obtain easy passage, or just free drinks in the local bars  ;D

regards

Mark

All coins are guaranteed for eternity