Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus and a headless victory legend question.  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
Septimius Severus and a headless victory legend question.
« on: May 31, 2012, 04:26:37 pm »
 The obv. legend reads VG instead of AVG. IS this just poor spelling from an official mint? This victory was beheaded at some point and there are what appears to be a few die chips but otherwise I enjoy the crude style overall of this one.
 18 mm
 2.0 gr

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
Re: Septimius Severus and a headless victory legend question.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 04:52:53 pm »
RIC 424   Septimius Severus Denarius. Emesa Mint, 194-195 AD. IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II, laureate head right / VICT AVG, Victory walking left holding wreath & palm. RSC 675a.

I quite clearly see VICT - AVG on the reverse.

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:58:02 pm »
 Sorry for being vague. I mean the PERT VG on the obverse instead of PERT AVG. Not the VICT AVG on rev.... and happy birthday to you too!

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:04:40 pm »
I do believe you are right! They must have been pulling some long hours at the Emesa mint. Or perhaps even a barbaric imitation? - http://dougsmith.ancients.info/wild.html

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 05:12:36 pm »
 Haha that's what I like to hear. I was thinking blind celator.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 04:00:41 pm »
I think the style could pass for official Eastern, with engraver's error VG for AVG and perhaps also PEPT for PERT in obv. legend.

I will check whether I know the same obv. die from other coins, once I get my trays of casts back into their cabinet after a move.

I will probably be successful in my search, since Cohen 675 records a denarius like yours, VG and all, from the Paris collection! There was also a specimen in the Reka Devnia hoard, with a footnote contending that the missing A of AVG is actually there, but ligate with the V. I see no trace of a ligate A on your example, however. Maybe I have a cast which will show more.

Your missing head of Victory was probably never struck up, corresponding to the missing locks of Septimius' hair on the obv. That implies that the die axis of your denarius is upright rather than inverted, i.e. when the portrait is upright the rev. is upright too, rather than upside down. Please check whether this is correct!
Curtis Clay

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 08:06:26 pm »
 Thank you very much CurtisClay for your info and you are correct about the die axis!

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 11:49:17 pm »
  I have been researching the Reka Devina Hoard and thank you for your references. Where can I find info on the Paris collection?

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 09:49:07 am »
Cohen is the only complete publication of the Paris collection of Roman imperial coins, as it existed c. 1860-1880.

A new publication with photos began in 1975, but has so far only progressed up to Trajan, plus Aurelian-Florian, and Probus in the pipeline.
Curtis Clay

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 12:53:36 pm »
 Thank you very much again. I am very happy. Cohen is hot keyed here and I could research it directly from this thread.  Mr Clay you have been a great help and I'll quit bugging you until you have finished with your casts,,,Have a great day to everyone reading this!

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 02:26:42 am »
I have casts of four specimens from the same obv. die.

Three, in Paris as reported by Cohen, Vienna, and my own collection (acq. 2000), have the same Vict. advancing rev. type as yours, but are from two other rev. dies.

One, in BM, has Victory seated l. rather than advancing on the reverse.

These casts show clearly that it's PERT not PEPT on the obv., and there is no trace whatever of a ligate AV: the A is entirely missing, obviously left out by the engraver!
Curtis Clay

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 01:21:51 pm »
 Thank you very much I am excited to read your information. With 5 specimens and four reverse dies I might have a chance at finding a twin out there! I only have one set of twins but they were unearthed together.
 If I can find the time I will build a kiln and cast this one for you too. Thank you again for taking your time to share your info! Have a great day!

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 01:31:25 pm »
Casting doesn't require a kiln!

See my instructions, sticky under Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage on Forvm.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity