Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

Large Byzantine Unknown Lead Medallion

<< < (2/5) > >>

Simon:
This time a photo. A little diffrent view.

vercingetorix:
Of course a much better picture Simon. The left man is a priest and he is holding a specific religious object used in a funeral ritual. I am afraid I don't know the name in English, but it's a bowl with incensed frankincense and myhrr held with three chains and moved in the air. I hope you understand this non-academic description :)

Robert_Brenchley:
Isn't that a censer? One of those things they wave about the church (you can tell I'm a Protestant) to spread the fumes?

vercingetorix:
Yes, exactly. I am orthodox and we have the same tradition. I think "waving" is the best way to describe the action on the medalion.

Simon:
Just a quick update. When cleaning I found that both the man and the baby are nimbus ( Halo's ) that steers us back to "The  Dormition of the Virgin."  I do not know all of the varities of this scene, the only one I have seen has angels and Christ does not have a child in his hands.

I have just begun cleaning the medallion but the results so far are great. I need to start some toothpick work on the obverse and the reverse still has lots of dirt but I am making headway. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version