Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 8- ray star nummus  (Read 1857 times)

a

8- ray star nummus
« on: December 29, 2003, 04:08:30 am »
Hi,

I shure this coin (11mm) is Byzantine nummus but I cannot ID the emperor and mint. The similar reverse (eight rayed star) listed in Harlan & Berk - Alexandria nummus of Heraclius. But in the obverse appears large "A" and not profiled bust. Please help me to Id this coin.

Thanks,
Explorer

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
Re:8- ray star nummus
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 06:04:41 am »
The obverse bust right resembles to Anastasius, Justin I or Justinian I. Usually the nummus in this period is associated with a monogram reverse. I don't think it's Heraclius, but if you are sure about the Alexandria mint it must be Justinian I
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

a

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 07:41:25 am »
Thanks, vercingetorix

Do you know, why no one can ID definitely this coin. May be because it is unlisted one? What I need to do for make it listed?

Explorer

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 11:31:25 am »
First of all you should check the main byzantine coins catalogues which are DOW (Dumbarton Oaks and the Whittemore collection) MIB (Moneta Imperii Byzantini) and BMC (British Museum Coins). If the coin is not listed here it is possible to be unique. Do you have any idea where the coin was found?

a

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 11:45:30 am »
Of course,

I find this coin in Ascalon (Israel).
I don't think anyone has all these catalogs in his private library (I have only Harlan & Berk reference book).

Explorer

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 01:13:58 pm »
Of course, but the books can be found in public libraries or museums. If you are from Israel, try at the Bible Lands Museum in Jerusalem. Send them an e-mail, maybe they can help you with catalogue information.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity