Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Allectus, new reverse type  (Read 1192 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Interesting Allectus, new reverse type
« on: August 24, 2010, 12:53:56 pm »
Hi,

Got home just too late to pick this coin up from the Post Office but wanted to post it here anyway. It was one of a group of two coins recently sold at auction and the vendor looks to have not noted the reverse.

Sol standing on the reverse between two captives and although it would be unusual for and Allectan coin to have two captives it could be over looked. What is different is the legend. You would expect to see ORIENS AVG, however, from the evident lettering it looks to read SOLI INVICTO. As such this would probably be a new reverse type, unrepresented in the BM collection (although I do need to check Oxford and Cambridge collections). It is also unusual in that there are no field marks, only ML in the exergue.

Will hopefully be able to post a better picture tomorrow.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: Interesting Allectus, new reverse type
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 02:25:39 pm »
Mauseus,

Do coins of ANY emperor, usurper, or otherwise have SOLI INVICTO reverses with captives?

mz

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:20:24 pm »
Hi mauseus,

congratulation to this rarity!

@Mark

As far as I know the reverse legend "SOLI INVICTO" with sol and captives was only issued under Aurelian.

Regards

kc

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:39:28 pm »
Hi mauseus,

congratulation to this rarity!

@Mark

As far as I know the reverse legend "SOLI INVICTO" with sol and captives was only issued under Aurelian.

Regards

kc

kc

Thanks for that!

mz

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 02:18:14 pm »
Hi,

Just to confirm that this coin does read SOLI I[NV]ICTO with ML in the exergue. Not in RIC, Burnett, ANS, BM.

A LAETITIA AVG with ML and no field marks is illustrated in volume 4 of the Hunter collection catalogue and, in Andrew Burnett's 1984 catalogue of Allectus, two temple reverse coins have no field marks, just ML in the exergue. The temple reverse coins, plus my coin below, one may explain the lack of field marks because of the design filling the field (eg the two captives in the left and right fields).

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity