Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion Forum

Desert Patina cleaning Project, step by step !!

<< < (5/7) > >>

SC:
I will re-experiment with the DP coins with both sharpened dental pick and scalpel when I get the chance.

But my scalpel question was aimed more broadly.  I do all my difficult cleaning, including silvered coins, with x-acto knife and if people say results from scalpels are better I would like to try actual scalpels.  I am just very curious about type - handle, blade quality and blade # - that people use.

Anyone know where the thread explaining the black patina under the DP is?  Or if there is one?  I searched a few ways but all I could find are threads on that annoying thick black patina, more of a crust, that obscures details.  I couldn't find anything explaing why coins are black under DP.

Shawn

Joe Sermarini:
I use this type of blade.  I have a few different handles.  I don't think the handle matters much.  I bought a few hundred of the blades and use a new one often.  The handles and blades are availble from Amazon.

Mayadigger:
Ave!

--- Quote from: Joe Sermarini on May 28, 2010, 09:40:07 pm ---I use this type of blade.  I have a few different handles.  I don't think the handle matters much.  I bought a few hundred of the blades and use a new one often.  The handles and blades are availble from Amazon.

--- End quote ---

Joe, same here, but I prefer this curved blade, rather than your flat blade. For me, anyway, the curved blade is much easier to deal with...and much more forgiving in inexperienced hands.

Best,

Kevin

Mark Z:
Kevin,

As a hack cleaner, I agree that the curved blade is a godsend. In fact, since your great advice in another thread, I have had great success and a lot more pleasure from my latest batch of uncleaned coins.

mz

Joe Sermarini:
I have tried the curved blades and for me the straight blade is easier.  I work mostly near the tip and the straight blade has a very narrow small tip, so I can be very precise.  I think whatever works best for the user is fine, of course. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version