Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

Palaeolagus

<< < (3/3)

g1234:
Palaeologos is the right spelling of the Byzantine emperor family. That name is very common in Greece, you can see the name at the yellow pages, and it mean: old speech (word).
Palaeo = old, long-standing
Logos = speech, word

antistius:

--- Quote from: corvus on December 31, 2003, 05:53:22 am ---I'm sorry Simon but your information is not correct :) Last Czar Nikolai II had nothing to do with Palaeologus family...  
They were from Romanov's house - a minor family who was offered throne after sc. "Smuta" ("jumble") period when direct heir to throne missed and aristocrats made their selection offering throne in 1613 to Mikhail I Fedorovich Romanov (his father was very respected religious man). And only reason why he got throne was that leading Moscow aristocrats thought they have now puppet to take advantage but instead they got strong and clever leader :)
Romanovs originally game from Lithuania (if I'm correct must check)

Risto

--- End quote ---
Risto, I think you are correct about the Lithuanian origin of the Romanovs.  Michael Romanov actually had another connection to the throne besides his father's position as Patriach, which is that the first and most (only) beloved wife of Ivan IV (the Terrible) was Anastasia Romanov, and the time of their marriage was something of a golden age of the period (it was after her death that Ivan began behaving 'Terribly').  And to move even further beyond the scope of this topic, I think that the Romanov dynasty really ended in 1762, with the muder of Peter III by Grigori Orlov, boyfriend of Peter's non-Romanov wife, Catherine: she took the throne upon Peter's death, and upon her death it passed to her son, Paul, who most likely had no Romanov DNA at all, but was more likely a Saltykov (another of Catherine's many boyfriends). ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version