Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Palaeolagus  (Read 2604 times)

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
Palaeolagus
« on: November 23, 2003, 07:13:43 pm »
This is a cry for help.  I know that the later Byzantine emporors used the title "Palaeolagus".  See Sejanus's personal want list thread.  I'm admitting complete ignorance, palaeolagus means nothing more to me than "ancient rabbit".  I find that a very unlikely title for a Byz emporor.  Anybody help me out?
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Tacitvs

Re:Palaeolagus
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 08:43:58 pm »
Though i don't know what the title means (I had thought it was more of a family name), the correct spelling is Palaeologus rather than Palaeolagus.  Maybe this will help you on your search.

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 08:03:55 am »
Doh!  No wonder I couldn't find it in any reference.

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 05:31:17 pm »
The Paleologhi were a noble family of Byzantium. So Paleologus was a surname and not an attribute

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2003, 07:18:59 pm »
Yes, once i figured out how to spell it, I found it was quite easy to find information. In any case, the dynasty ended with Byzantium overrun and Constantine XI dead.  The family was dispersed over Europe and still exists today.  Interesting story.  Paleolagus is the generic name of the oldest fossil rabbit.

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 06:21:09 am »
Durin the late byzantine period two families struggled for power- Paleologi and Cantacuzini, and these are merely family names as said above like other dinasty families Ducas, Anghelos etc.The imperial title was Augustus and later Basileus.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 06:32:54 am »
Well, sometimes the emperors were referred to as "The Great Palaeologus" so it could be a sort of Imperial title as well.
Also, the family may still be in existance today, but the heir supposed to be a direct descendant was found to be a fraud some years ago so it remains to be seen if the family does exist or if the blood has been so diluted it does not.
                                   LordBest. 8)    

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 07:46:27 am »
The last Czar of Russia was related to the family( Ivan III married Princess Sophia of the Palaeologus house). The Czsars family flag has two headed eagle that was taken from the Palaeogus house. Other aspects were also taken from Byzantine to Russia such as the Coronation ceremony nd autocrat rule. As one book put it , the political heritage of the Palaeogus house ended in 1918 when the Czsar and his family were executed.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

corvus

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 05:53:22 am »
I'm sorry Simon but your information is not correct :) Last Czar Nikolai II had nothing to do with Palaeologus family...  
They were from Romanov's house - a minor family who was offered throne after sc. "Smuta" ("jumble") period when direct heir to throne missed and aristocrats made their selection offering throne in 1613 to Mikhail I Fedorovich Romanov (his father was very respected religious man). And only reason why he got throne was that leading Moscow aristocrats thought they have now puppet to take advantage but instead they got strong and clever leader :)
Romanovs originally game from Lithuania (if I'm correct must check)

Risto

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 07:08:55 am »
Thank You for setting the record straight Corvus. I got the information from the Time Life book on the Byzantine Empire, they use it in the concluding paragraphs of the book.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

g1234

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 09:18:51 am »
Palaeologos is the right spelling of the Byzantine emperor family. That name is very common in Greece, you can see the name at the yellow pages, and it mean: old speech (word).
Palaeo = old, long-standing
Logos = speech, word

antistius

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 09:50:08 am »
Quote from: corvus on December 31, 2003, 05:53:22 am
I'm sorry Simon but your information is not correct :) Last Czar Nikolai II had nothing to do with Palaeologus family...  
They were from Romanov's house - a minor family who was offered throne after sc. "Smuta" ("jumble") period when direct heir to throne missed and aristocrats made their selection offering throne in 1613 to Mikhail I Fedorovich Romanov (his father was very respected religious man). And only reason why he got throne was that leading Moscow aristocrats thought they have now puppet to take advantage but instead they got strong and clever leader :)
Romanovs originally game from Lithuania (if I'm correct must check)

Risto

Risto, I think you are correct about the Lithuanian origin of the Romanovs.  Michael Romanov actually had another connection to the throne besides his father's position as Patriach, which is that the first and most (only) beloved wife of Ivan IV (the Terrible) was Anastasia Romanov, and the time of their marriage was something of a golden age of the period (it was after her death that Ivan began behaving 'Terribly').  And to move even further beyond the scope of this topic, I think that the Romanov dynasty really ended in 1762, with the muder of Peter III by Grigori Orlov, boyfriend of Peter's non-Romanov wife, Catherine: she took the throne upon Peter's death, and upon her death it passed to her son, Paul, who most likely had no Romanov DNA at all, but was more likely a Saltykov (another of Catherine's many boyfriends). ::)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity