Antiquities Discussion Forums > Seals and Tesserae

Wanted: Images of Tesserae

(1/3) > >>

Ardatirion:
At the moment, I'm working on completing my undergraduate thesis on ancient lead tesserae. I'm looking for any images that you may have of the tokens in your private collections, whether in lead or bronze. If you'd prefer, feel free to contact me privately.

Your help is appreciated!

areich:
I must admit, I'm a bit hazy on the subject of what is or isn't a tessera.
Here's something that's most likely not a coin, it's AE12, if you're interested in the weight, I'll have to look for it.

Andreas

Ardatirion:

--- Quote from: areich on January 27, 2010, 03:14:49 pm ---I must admit, I'm a bit hazy on the subject of what is or isn't a tessera.
Here's something that's most likely not a coin, it's AE12, if you're interested in the weight, I'll have to look for it.

Andreas

--- End quote ---

For a working definition: anything that resembles a coin, but is not.

That's wonderful! Definitely the largest flan I've ever seen this type struck on. Can you get me the eight, and the die axis? We had a brief discussion on these a while back. Compare:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-44922

areich:
About 340° and 2.15g. I didn't even think of that one, because mine's much heavier, also cruder.

tacrolimus:
Lead, 17 mm, 4.0 g, axis 12

obv: Mercurius standing left holding purse (?) and caduceus; to right MF (Mercurius Felix?)
Rev: Iuppiter (?) standing left, holding thunderbolt and sceptre (no letters readable)

I have not found it in Rostzowzew or supplement

Luigi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version