Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two Roman Coins  (Read 2867 times)

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
Two Roman Coins
« on: November 21, 2009, 01:13:37 pm »
I brought these two coins a couple of weeks ago at a local fair. I pretty sure that the first one is fake because I found a match in the fake reports. I believe that the small round blobs on the surface are cast marks? Since they were the only two roman coins for sale by this vendor I'm guessing there is a strong chance that the second one (on the right) is also fake, not to mention that it has what to me looks like a seam mark on the edge. Can somebody give me the benefit of their experience ?

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Two Roman Coins
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 01:21:27 pm »
Sorry, very ugly fakes.

Best regards

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 01:58:06 pm »
Thanks & no worries, i didn't pay a lot for them and they (plus the fake 1800 liberty dollar that I also purchased) lead me here. So really I think of it as a lucky investment, since the knowledge that is here will help me avoid buying more fakes and thus save money in the long run;)

BTW what are the guidelines for posting them in the fake reports ? is it worth posting the first coin because it is already there? Also are the sepia style pictures good enough quality or is it better use pictures that show off a truer colour (like the attached)?
cheers

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 04:35:50 pm »
While there is no doubt that these are fakes, this report deserves a little more note.  Certainly the true color picture is better but your edge photo is a great example of the edge seam of a cast and deserves applause.  The right coin also shows a characteristic common to tourist grade fakes (the low of the low).  The obverse shows Gordian I but not in a style that would be terribly obvious without the legendGordian was emperor for a very short period in 238 AD.  The reverse reads TR POT XI suggesting the issuer was in his 11th year of rule.  That's impossible for Gordian I but reasonable for Marcus Aurelius.   Your two coins are separated in date by nearly 300 years but the metal of the two looks like it came from the same pot.  The Brutus should be a little better silver than the Gordian allowing for the debasement that occured in that time.

Poor style, cast looking surfaces, obvious edge seam, inappropriate metal and mismatch dies - did I miss something?  Yes, I did.  Any ancient coin that is alone in the hands of a dealer that no idea about ancients is a tip to be wary.  Being one of two coins when the other is known to be a fake is quite a bit of a red flag.  I don't know what you paid for these coins but genuine examples of Gordian I denarii (with appropriate reverses for him) sell for several hundred dollars.  The Brutus would also be a high dollar item if real even though it is a cheaper variety for him (most fakes of his you see are EID MAR reverses).  I hope you did not pay a fair price for the pair (four digits?) so that brings up another tip.  Coins worth a lot of money being offered for a small fraction of that price tend to be fake.  The tip is to buy from a dealer who is worthy of trust (Forvm Ancients who hosts this list comes to mind as a good example).  I buy a large percentage of my coins from less desireable sources (bad me) and obviously have made a few mistakes over the last 45 years.  Until you feel more certain of your abilities in this field, I suggest buying from a 'real' dealer.

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 03:24:10 pm »
Thanks for detailed good explanation, I hope you don't mind but I plagurised your post for the description in the fakes reports. I'm not sure that I added it exactly correct though, since I uploaded the 3 pictures and it asked for a description of the first picture, then asked for the description of the second, but i omitted selecting the album so it came up with a loading error ? I think i also needed to stitch the pictures together right ?

Rest assured though I didn't pay a lot in total it was about 100 dollars, but that included 3 other coins, a 1800 liberty dollar that turns out to be a fake (its identical to the one in the silver plated fake in the reports here). A real silver 1780 Maria Theresa Thaler, which might as well be fake as they are apparently still minting them today, and an Edward VII 1905 one rupee, which is the one truly genuine coin, but probably not worth the price I paid for it (due to it's high circulation count). Not my best day shopping for bargains but you live a learn.

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 01:13:25 pm »
Finally I've found the time to merge the 3 images together is it ok for the fake reports? if so how do i go about replacing the current picture which is just of the edge ?

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 01:26:23 pm »
You can't replace pictures with the gallery software, you'll have to add a new entry and delete or ask an admin to delete the old one.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity