Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin Jobs  (Read 2226 times)

Offline SVLLAIMP

• Consul
Coin Jobs
« on: October 19, 2009, 02:34:23 pm »
I just graduated in May from the University of Colorado with a Classics bachelors and I'm looking for that first "real" job.  So I was wondering if any of the many people on this site knew of any jobs, internships, or something like that in the ancient numismatics field.  Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Max

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Re: Coin Jobs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:43:31 pm »
Hi,

If you are OK with France and french language, CGB who is one of the main dealers in Paris is constantly looking for collaborators : http://www.cgb.fr/cgb/recrut.html

Hope it helps
Potator

nemo

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 06:35:26 pm »
I would strongly suggest attending the New York International Numismatic Convention in January. Think of it as a job fair. Worst case scenario - a weekend in Manhattan :)

http://www.nyinc.info

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 11:27:23 pm »
I just graduated in May from the University of Colorado with a Classics bachelors and I'm looking for that first "real" job.  So I was wondering if any of the many people on this site knew of any jobs, internships, or something like that in the ancient numismatics field.  Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Max

Institutions, individual scholars or even collectors often need assistance doing the heavy-lifting of numismatic research. I'm talking setting up and populating databases, inventorising weights and varieties from auction catalogues, web-page management, coin photography, die comparison studies, statistical analysis, tracking down cited references etc. This is not glamorous work but there are a lot of research projects which are stalled because scholars with umpteen years experience cannot dedicate 6 months or a year to establishing a database. I'd do a lot more numismatic work with such assistance (not that I am offering a job!) so I imagine others would too. But such un-glamorous work establishes analytical skills that could be of used in later business settings. Believe me, numismatic research is not about glancing at a coin and coming to some inspired inspiration, there's a lot of grunt work behind the most mundane papers.

Offline SVLLAIMP

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 12:21:38 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  Hopefully I can pull something together.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 07:18:50 am »
Hi,

London dealer Spink and Son offer internships of three to six months:

http://www.spink.com/about_spink/recruitment.asp

They offer national minimum wage which I think is between £5 and £6 per hour (and you'd be based in London - expensive!).

I used to work, initially voluntarily and then paid freelance for a provincial museum here in the UK. I was working at first on cataloguing a Gallic Empire coin hoard and then identifying and recording metal detector finds, reported as part of the Treasure Act. I used this as a stepping stone to being offered a full time Finds Liaison Officer post that I ultimately turned down (as it happens). The trouble with a lot of those Treasure Act posts, plus other UK museum jobs, is that the funding is only temporary and you end up on fixed term contracts with uncertainty as to whether the funding will continue to be in place.

Good luck with your search.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 05:00:38 pm »
Heritage, located here in the DFW metroplex, also may have openings for individuals in various areas.....

http://www.ha.com/common/about.php?target=jobs

All coins are guaranteed for eternity