Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dave Surber of Wildwinds.com passed away  (Read 37862 times)

Offline imperialcoins

• Consul
  • Agora Auctions
    • Agora Auctions, Inc.
Dave Surber of Wildwinds.com passed away
« on: February 26, 2009, 01:34:52 am »
For those that have not heard the very sad news, Dave Surber passed away suddenly last Friday at the age of 49. Dave is probably best known by numismatists for his ancient coin attribution site Wildwinds.com.  His site has served as an introduction of sorts to many new collectors and experienced numismatists alike.

He will be missed.

Alfred

-Alfred
Agora Auctions, Inc.
http://agoraauctions.com

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Dave Surber of Wildwinds.com passed away
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 03:25:16 am »
an untimely tragedy for his family and a great loss to the numismatic community.

my deepest sympathies to all his loved ones.

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 03:45:20 am »
Prayers lifted for him and his family.

And heartfelt thanks for the work he did for us through WildWinds.  I hope his site will be able to continue on and grow with help from others as a testament to that devotion.

Kevin

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 05:11:14 am »
I woke up to this news this morning as well. I feel like I knew him although we had never met - we exchanged so many emails regarding my pics, his pics, etc.. =( He will be missed.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 05:59:06 am »
What sad news. I have often contacted him and have got to know him as a very friendly person. What a bad day for the whole numismatics family. I will not forget him.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:06:54 am »
Sad news indeed. I too exchanged many emails with Dave over the years. I am saddened indeed by this news.
Martin

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:00:56 am »
I am shocked to read this just now. I also like many here have exchanged several emails with him in the past and he was always very friendly and polite.

I am ever thankfull for his considerable contribution to numismatics.
Deepest condolences to family members and friends.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 08:30:09 am »
I am heartbroken. We have spoken on the phone twice over the past couple of weeks and he was so happy that he had been able to visit Greece, Italy and France just four weeks ago. He told me about his visit to Ephesus and places in Italy he had always wanted to visit.
I have no words to express my sorrow and grief at losing him at such a young age.

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 08:32:21 am »
May he rest in Peace and I offer a big 'thank you' to him. He has certainly been a boone to collectors and his website has served me well...It was a great thing he did, I doubt for much more than a 'thanks'. I hope someone will pick up the ball and take over where he left off...big shoes to fill for sure.

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 08:58:23 am »
I am heartbroken. We have spoken on the phone twice over the past couple of weeks and he was so happy that he had been able to visit Greece, Italy and France just four weeks ago. He told me about his visit to Ephesus and places in Italy he had always wanted to visit.
I have no words to express my sorrow and grief at losing him at such a young age.
I can add to this the last words of Dave to me:

Paris was quite fun, rather cold, though that didn't matter much inside the Louvre.  We
were there only a couple of days; stayed at the Hotel Splendid Etoile, with a balcony
overlooking the Arc de Triomphe.   Lovely place!

All the best,

- Dave

romeo

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 09:02:35 am »
virtually everybody interested in numismatics would of at sometime come across wildwinds. i hope his hard work will live on.
as so many have already said what a polite, kind and helpfull gentleman. its truely shocking news and a dark day indeed. love and sympathy to family and close friends. rest in peace Dave.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 09:53:53 am »
Wildwinds came to us early in the history of the Internet.  It was a gift.  A treasured gift rendered to us by the generosity, vision and hard work of Dave Surber.  He taught us that, in our time, one caring and generous man can offer invaluable tools to classical numismatics.  His gift has been especially important for young collectors who are just beginning to explore this field.  His gift has been the cornerstone of the rising popularity of classical numismatics over the past decade.  His gift is a permanent part of the foundation of all the Internet will ever become for our field.   And all this truly was a gift; it was his hobby, not his living.  I cannot imagine how many hours of his life he gave to us, but I am eternally grateful.  I am selfishly saddened that his life was cut short, for I know he would have kept giving to the collector community.

I am above all saddened to know that at only 49 he has left behind a family that expected many more years with him.  I hope that members of his family and others who loved Dave visit here and find some comfort in our posts.   I hope they find some comfort hearing from people that admired and respected Dave, people from around the entire globe.  It is small solace in this tragic time but it is all we can offer for a man who gave much more to us.  I pray they find peace, and someday, happiness
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 11:51:22 am »
Does anyone have his survivors' address for those interested in sending sympathy cards?

Nick

romeo

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 12:31:55 pm »
I'm in shock!  He just put one of my coins on wildwinds on Feb 7th and we exchanged some wonderful emails...

My deepest sympathy to the family.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 02:10:57 pm »
A terrible loss,and at a very young age. I hope a way can be found for the site to cotinue.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 03:06:11 pm »
May God rest his soul. A good man.
PeteB

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 04:06:06 pm »
I too am in shock.  Such a loss at such a young age.  As someone new to this field, Wildwinds was one of the first places I visited while trying to attribute my coins.  So much dedication and work that must have gone into it.  He leaves behind a true legacy. He will be deeply missed. 

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
it is payback time I think and Hope :(
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 01:29:41 am »
It is a big loss for all of us, Dave was kind and very friendly, lately we were working on the Judaean Hasmonean coinage, and he was so exited to see nice examples and full ID for those coins on WILDWINDS, I am so sad he couldent see that section completed, and wish I gave more from my time to se it done  :(
I think it is time to payback for Daves family, he gave alot and every one of us got some help from Dave, now Bill Puetz is asking all of us to payback for that great man family and hope we will be so kind to Payback  ???

Bill Puetz

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 04:06:54 am »
he will be missed and remembered always.

Offline gb29400

• Caesar
  • Your life is what your thoughts make it ! M.Aurel
    • GbCollection
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 04:16:25 am »
I am in shock! I didn't know Dave personnaly but used often his marvelous work with Wildwinds.
Can his passion to numismatics survive with Wildwinds and help us not to forget him.
It seems unfair that God would take him away so soon. I want his family to know that our thoughts are with them during this difficult time.

Guy

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 08:42:19 am »
That's very sad news. A great loss for the numismatic community.
May his family have support in those dreadful days. My thoughts are for them

Potator

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 02:09:32 pm »
One can only imagine the sense of loss that Dave's family must feel at his passing. His absence in the field of numismatics will be greatly felt by all, and I salute the selfless commitment that he displayed in creating and developing such a valued resource as Wildwinds. A tremendously sad time indeed. I only hope that his family may gain some small confort from knowing that all held him in the very highest regard.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 03:53:14 pm »
Anyone who knews the reason of his death? A long severe desease or a sudden accident?

Best regards

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 04:21:27 pm »
Hi Hans
it wasent long desease, I was intouch with him latley working at the Judaean coins in Wild winds and he was perfectly fine, I learned today he had a sudden death .
may God take mercy of his soul and comfort his family.
Salem

All coins are guaranteed for eternity