Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tyche? AE 20mm Antioch?  (Read 1049 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Tyche? AE 20mm Antioch?
« on: December 26, 2007, 05:42:43 pm »
I am trying to identify this AE 20mm 5.0g.  I believe that it is Tyche's head on the obverse and either a standing figure (likely) or a tripod (unlikey) on the reverse

Could this be from Antioch?

pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Tyche? AE 20mm Antioch?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »
You are right with the obv. It is Tyche, draped and veiled, wearing a mural crown, r.
The rev. looks like a Kabir, wearing his working clothes, holding a hammer over his l. shoulder and a rhyton in his r. hand. If this is correct (I don't know for sure, only deduced from his attitude!) then it would be from Thessalonica.

Best regards

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 06:33:46 pm »
I believe that I can see Kabeiros on the reverse more clearly now.  Could it be

Thessalonica,Macedon, Flavian Period; AE20, 5.00g; Obv:
     Turreted head of City right. Rev: Kabeiros standing left, holds
     rhyton and hammer. Copenhagen 386?
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 07:11:17 pm »
I have no access to SNG Copenhagen. Perhaps another member of our Forum could check your suggestion!

Best regards

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:37:12 am »
I think that the coin pretty clearly  Moushmov 6591, Table XLVI 4. /  Copenhagen 386

Thanks for your help Jochen

John

All coins are guaranteed for eternity