Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Provincial Coins Discussion Forum

I beg for help! pleeeease help me!!!

(1/3) > >>

Katharosteriphos:
Hi experts!

First of all, excuse mi bad english(But I've just received a"excellent" in latin!). I'm 16 and I'm still trying to understand your grammar ::) ::). I collect ancient coins since 7 months now, and i think it's really a fascinating thing. I've already spent more than 800 US Dollars in ancient coins. But what makes me nearly getting mad are the provincial coins. I do understand the Greek letters without any problem, but if only 3 or 4 are missing, i can hardly identify it.
so, if you could help me to identify the coin, I'm trying to post here, I'd be very happy. :)

The folk on the obverse clearly wears a radiate crown, which i haven't seen very often on a provincial coin. The only letters i think i can read are ........AN....... but I'm sure that these two letters are correct.
On the reverse, things become more complicated.
There are three look-alike apples, but I've found out at wildwinds, that these apples are referred as "agonistic urns", or "prize urns".
i can read nearly every letter on the reverse, but i don't have a clue what they mean.
i appears to be: OVAL / CALIEOY / AYCO / KA(?) (every letter is in greek, but i don't know yet how to use greek letters in the FORVM)
please help me!  

germanicus:
at first guess , i know VALERIAN I had several of these reverse types

not same , but an example

ill look further if i can

http://data.numismatics.org/cgi-bin/showobj?accnum=2000.8.3

Katharosteriphos:
I've just checked Valerian I. at wildwinds.com and at dirtyoldcoins.com. I found a few provincial coins from Anazarbus with urns on it, but none of them had a similar legend on the reverse!
Anyway, thanks for your help!

Automan:
I think your coin may very well be from Nicaea in Bithynia. Valerian seems like a good bet, too.

Auto

Katharosteriphos:
...and exactly that is the problem for me, the only really helpful site i know is wildwinds, and in their Bithynia/Nicaea page is no coin like this, not even similar ones.
But, nevertheless, it's very kind, that you help me!

just another question..: does anyone here call him/herself an expert in so-called SC-Coins from Antioch? I've got 2 of them, but i can't identify them without help!  ::)

thx to the experts! ;)
Katharosteriphos

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version