Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Provincial Coins Discussion Forum

COL VIM Moesia exergues

(1/2) > >>

Mayadigger:
Ave to all,

I am very interested in the meaning of the exergues found on Colonia Viminacium issues.

None of my books detail the meaning of the beginning AN followed by any series of Roman numerals.

I'm guessing that the AN may stand for ANNO? And the following number....?  As I sell a few of these coins on occasion, I'd very much like to more about them.

I have no doubt that many others are puzzled by meaning of the exergue. This seems like a good place to clear the issue.

Joe, Alex, Rugs, Ken, LB, EC, JD, et al...?

Thanks,

K

*Alex:
The letters refer to the Colonial Era of Viminacium. e.g. AN IIII = year 4 of the Colonial Era of Viminacium = A.D.242/3 in the reign of Gordian III.
AN V = year 5 = A.D.244 (in the reign of Philip I).
And so on.

D.A.  :)

Mayadigger:
Ave,

So, does this mean that the Colony was founded in the year 239?

K

*Alex:
Hi Mayadigger,

No, it doesn't. It means that was the year Viminacium was awarded Colonial status. It has nothing to do with when it was founded which was a long time before that. It is a kind of civic award which greatly increased the prestige of the recipient. It is like upgrading a town to a city status which was recently done here in Scotland to Stirling and Inverness.

D.A.  :)

Automan:
The precise starting date of the era of Viminacium has been much debated in the past, but the current bid seems to be around mid-summer 239.

Auto

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version