Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seleucids?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Seleucids?
« on: October 05, 2005, 08:27:43 am »
Hi!

Here I have an unknown coin from a friend. I think it could be from the Seleucids. Any information welcomed!

Best regards

Lawrence Woolslayer

Re: Seleucids?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:30:23 am »
I am thinking maybe Ptolemy XII, Neos Dionysos, c. 81-56
See Sear 7944-7946; Svoronos ~1850

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 06:17:13 pm »
I am not sure what is going on with Sear's references to Svoronos, but this is not in the 1850 area.  This is Svoronos 1821, which he attributes to Ptolemy XIII Auletes, 80-51 B.C.  Of course, some of the order and numbers of the reigning Ptolemies have been changed, so Sear could have the correct attribution to ruler.

Since this has the Year :Aramaic_zayin: (Z) on it, it was minted in year 7 of the ruler's reign, which is about 74 B.C.  The object in the left field is the crown of Isis.  The branch, according to Svoronos, is suppose to be a laurel branch over the eagle's shoulder.  Sear says this coin was minted in Alexandria

Svoronos illustrates this coin on plate 61a, coin 5.  Svoronos is on-line at http://www.coin.com

Howard

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 07:32:31 pm »
Thanks for your attribution! I think my friend will be happy about it!

Best regards

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 09:18:18 am »
@Jochen: Now tell me one thing, that particular coin was posted by two other members of the german forum (Wuppi and Scheleck) and I attributed it twice for them. Do you all have the same friend and, if yes, does he think he must have this coin attributed thrice??  ;)

@Howard: isn't it Ptolemy XII. Neos Dionysos, LKZ = year 27 = 55/54 BC, Svoronos 1836, SNG Cop. 394?

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 11:15:20 pm »
You are right there is a K.  I didn't notice the K from the blurry picture.  It is still listed under Ptolemy XIII Auletes in Svoronos, Year 27, (54 B.C.).  But as I said earlier, I know there has been an updating of the list and that Svoronos contains errors.
http://www.coin.com//images/dr/svoronos/svc001p261t.html
http://www.coin.com//images/dr/svoronos/svc061p002p.html
Howard

All coins are guaranteed for eternity