Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > History and Archeology

Different amphitheatres?

<< < (2/9) > >>

Nico Creces:
Thanks friends for your answers.
Lars, Alex and Robert are answering the same things and there is reason in it.
Seems like many "dug in " arena's survived, especially in the provinces (I heard yesterday about several preserved arena's in modern Turkey).

Andrew, about the roman theatres which are used for plays and speeches.
If I'm right (I visited one in Pula, Croatia), they are made of a half circle instead of a circle like the amphitheatre.
About 2 years ago, I visited the ancient theatre of Epidauros in Greece.
It also was made in the form of a half circle.
(I post a pic of it below ;))

Grtz,
Nico

Robert_Brenchley:
There's a modern open-air theatre in the cliffs near Lands' End which is based on the design of a Roman or Greek theatre. I haven't been to a play there, but people who have say the acoustics are really good despite having the sea for a backdrop!

Nico Creces:
When I was in Epidauros, there was a female opera singer performing (just for her fun). She was singing the "ave Maria".
And we sat on the top row and I must admit that she needn't a microphone.
It was just fantastic :o.
Even when people were speaking on a normal tone below, you could hear them from above.
Nico

PeterD:
This is the other end of the scale: This amphitheatre is just outside the walls of the abandoned town of Calleva Atrebatum (Silchester), near Reading in England. The embankments were subsequently used in the 12th Century as protection for a manor house.

Nico Creces:
If I'm getting it right, amphitheatres were normally built in the neighbourhood of a city?
The croatian arena that I visited (capacity about 5000 men) was in the middle of nowhere.
So, normally somewhere under the soil in the neighbourhood, there must be a hidden city ;).
Am I right?
Grtz,
Nico

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version