Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > History and Archeology

The Anti-Christian Emperors

<< < (2/17) > >>

the_Apostate:
Anyone interested in the above-mentioned Basil II or Basil the Bulgar-slayer should read the masterly chapter about the emperor in Psellus' Chronographia.

Robert_Brenchley:
Julian didn't persecute Christians in the normal sense of the term, but he did make life difficult for them by throwing out pro-Christian laws, ordering the teaching of anti-Christian works, and the like. The last persecutions were at least partly aimed at church finances; the empire needed money, and the church had it. By that time, though, relationships were closer than they might seem; the church was already beginning to use the imperial courts to settle property disputes. Constantine's takover was really the result of a process of evolution rather than a sudden change.

I suspect the persecutions may have been exaggerated; one Second-Century writer (I forget who) says that they 'know the names' of the martyrs, which suggests that there was a fairly limited number of them. Tertullina may have written that 'If the Tiber rises to the walls, if the Nile fails to rise, if there is famine, if there is plague, the cry goes up, 'The Christians to the lion!'. what, all of them to one lion?' but he was a terrible exaggerator, and he wasn't the only one. I doubt whether the empire was sufficiantly organised for the sort of widespread persecution often envisaged; the Emperor would issue a decree, but whether and how far it was carried out probably depended largely on provincial governors. Diocletian's laws about maximum prices don't seem to have had much effect, and it was probably the same thing in numerous other areas.

Rugser:
I defend IULIANUS II.
This emperor is a survivor to the slaughter of the families perpetrated from Constantinus I (cynical man and opportunist). Order to Atene studies philosophy with profit and absorbs the values of the Attica (Justice and Democracy).
Become Julianus imperator is of front a big problem....  was initiated  the persecution of the Christians against the pagans.
Julianus intervenes and declares free each cult. .obviously the pagan to despoil of all his possessions asks the reinstate,,,. "give to us our temples... .and the attached propertys "  They that's why burst brawls and revolts.
....Julianus intervenes and tries to do to respect his edicts.
The Christians win the game and write the history to their use and consumption.
For avoid equivocals I declare of be Christian Apostolic Roman.. .and also convinced democratic.

ser

LordBest:
The persecution of Christians was in many ways unique in history. It was rather small to gain such publicity, it was not the size claime by early historians as Christianity didnt have the numbers until the 5th century to be persecuted in such a manner and by then they were persecuting pagans. secondly it was the only persecution where people were tortured and cajoled to save them. Instead of killing people because they were Christian the government tried to get them to show loyalty to the emperor, if they had done that they could have gone home regardless of their religious beliefs. Much of the evidence gathered from earlier Christian cemetaries would indicate that in fact many more Christians sacrificed to the emperor and went on happily rather than became matyrs.The numbers that died naturally areproportionate to the amount of early Christians believed to have been in the empire, and very few showed signs of execution.
                                         LordBest. 8)

Laetvs:
LB, the persecution of Christians went beyond being merely an issue of loyalty to the emperor, at least during Diocletian's reign...it was a real religious struggle.  In 303, Diocletian issued an edict prohibiting all assemblies of Christians for purposes of worship and commanded the destruction of their churches and sacred texts.  This was followed by two further edicts ordering the arrest of all Christian clergy who refused to sacrifice to pagan divinities.  A fourth edict in 304 extended these edicts to all Christians, not just clergy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version