Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mithras  (Read 15645 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Mithras
« on: January 08, 2005, 03:24:42 pm »
Hi!

Here I have a question to Mithras. The cult of Mithras was wide spread in the late Empire especially in the Roman army. Mithraea (sing. Mithraeum) are found overall in Europe. His cult was one of the most dangerous opposites for Christanity. The date for Christmas I think was the birthday of Mithras and later taken by the Christians. Now I wonder wether there are no depictions of Mithras on coins! Is it possible that the term SOL INVICTVS is referring to Mithras? But most often he is depicted as a child (often fighting with a bull) and not like the figur found on Roman coins! I confess I am a bit confused!

Any information appreciated!

Regards

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re:Mithras
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 05:52:11 pm »
That question also has occurred to me, and it is worth asking.  As so often, it is hard to get documentation for a negative.  The possible answer I thought of was that, though the cult was prevalent in the legions, and there are Mithraea as far west, at least, as London, and numerous paintings and sculptures relative to the cult (while not works of genius) are obviously professional, its very absence (and a couple of instances would not alter the general statement) testifies to its hardly penetrating the socio-economic classes who determined the iconography of coinage (especially if it is equally absent from Gallic emperors' coins).  In other words, the legati didn't embrace it, at least not openly, still less the senatorial class in Rome or, perhaps, the formally educated generally.  In this respect, it contrasts to the prevalence of Isis and Serapis.  The Odessan Great God, like Isis and Serapis, was at home in the Hellenized world, and so were numerous others, such as Mên, but it looks as if Mithraism had not deeply penetrated worship in urban (urbane) Greco-Roman life.  Granted, but for the rise of Christianity, which did gain a toehold (and probably earlier than Helena), Mithraism and other dualistic beliefs concerned with personal salvation might have prevailed in the 4th century, since it had spread so widely.  That is, of course, a matter of opinion.
As to Sol Invictus: I think that, if they had intended Mithras, they would have given him a Phrygian hat or some other obvious attribute; of course, Mithraism and worship of Sol Invictus were not mutually exclusive, and both gained currency in the same climate.
Pat Lawrence

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 06:42:33 pm »
Thanks so much, Patricia! I have hoped that you would post to this question! Your explanation is convincing for Italy and the East. But in Britain, Gaul or Germany there were emperors/usurpers, which were much nearer to the army than to the senate of Rome. They were able to struck their own coins with themes they could choose. And even there are no Mithras coins found.

Could another explanation for that phenomena be that the cult of Mithras was so secret?

Regards

Offline SP88K

• Consul
  • The avarage person thinks he isn't.
    • Coin Traveler
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 08:34:02 pm »
Is it possible that the term SOL INVICTVS is referring to Mithras?

Remember that Mithras isn't Sol himself but he is invested with the powers of the sun by Sol himself Mithras is also often depicted together with the Sun.
Mithras was born of the Earth in the shade of a sacred tree beside a sacred stream holding a knife and a torch. He received word via a Raven from the Sun god that he was to slay the mystic white bull.
While Sol Invictvs is ofcourse the Sun itself.
I also think that you're right in the sense that since its a mystery cult with secret initiation rites and all you will not show it on coins.

Casper
Man's mind stretched by a new idea never goes back to its original dimension.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 09:06:08 pm »
Casper, Mithras was called SOL INVICTVS, the birthday of Mithras, the 25.12., was called DIES NATALIS SOLIS. The sunday, holy day of the Mithras, was the DIES SOLIS. Naturally Mithras was not the sun, but the personification of the sun. Like Helios: He was not only the sun as celestial phenomena, but the personification of the sun too. When he goes with his horses over the heaven, he was not the golden ball we could see, but a being to whom one could pray. I think it is very difficult for us to differentiate between these two sides of the same entity.

Regards

virtvsprobi

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 09:51:20 pm »
On some provincial coins Mithras is shown (allegedly):

From Barclay Head's "Historia Numorum":

Istrus, a colony of Miletus, south of the river Istrus, [...]

Imperial coins. Ant. Pius to Gordian. Inscr., ISTRIENON. Chief types, Rider-god (Mithras (?) ) wearing modius, before his horse an altar (?) and behind a long torch or column(?) on the top of which, a bird [...]

---
Examples from the reign of Septimius Severus:

[BROKEN LINKS REMOVED BY ADMIN]

---
Trapezus (Trebizond), on the south coast of the Euxine. [...]

Imperial—Trajan to Philip jun. Inscr., TRAPEZEUNTION . Era 64 A.D. Types: Hermes, Dionysos, Sarapis, Tyche, &c.; especially Mithras, who is often represented on horseback: see Imh(hof Blumer). G. M., p. 582 f.; Z. f. N., xx. 266; and Rec.(ueil) gén(eral Waddington, Babelon, and Reinach)., p. 107, for the Mithraeum of Trapezus.
---
Examples from the reign of Caracalla:

[BROKEN LINKS REMOVED BY ADMIN]

G/<

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 02:15:29 am »
Yes, that could be Mithras, but, with Head, I'd rather put "(?)" after the identification.  The Pontic regions have gods that we know precious little about, and their identities are only complicated by the possibility of assimilation ca. 200 AD.  
As for Sol Invictus, though this isn't my period, we may be confusing ourselves with the word 'personification' (like statues of Fortitude).  If we borrow a word from Indian religion it might be more accurate to say that worshippers of Mithras thought him an avatar of the Sun, and those that spoke Latin translated that idea as Sol Invictus.  As for Helios, Helios is the sun, just as Sol is in Latin.  What I don't know is whether there are records of worshippers of Mithras believing that Mithras was Unconquered Sun, or Invincible Light, or the like, and I'd want to know what Old Persian words were thus rendered.   At least the Pontic Severan coins (the first one cited a beauty!) show a Rider god in a sleeved jacket and trousers.  Neither Sol Invictus nor Rector Orbis types seem to wear anything at all.  Pat Lawrence

virtvsprobi

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 10:38:27 am »
Yes, that could be Mithras, but, with Head, I'd rather put "(?)"

That's why I said "allegedly", and in one case he is not himself certain and uses the (?). :D

G/<

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 04:04:15 pm »
Here I have a site where the identification of Mithras with Sol Invictus is evident: http://museums.ncl.ac.uk/archive/mithras/text.htm

(Pic below)

'To the Invincible God Mithras, Marcus Simplicius Simplex, prefect, willingly and deservedly fulfilled his vow'

Deo Invicto Mitrae M(arcus) Sim/plicius Simplex / pr(a)ef(ecus) v(otum) s(oluit) l(ibens) m(erito)

The front of the capital has a frieze of leaves and there is no focus. On the front of the shaft is the relief of the torso of Mithras rising from the Living Rock. He wears a cloak and a radiate crown, the rays of which are cut through to a hollow niche at the back of the altar in which an oil lamp would have been placed; when lit the light of the lamp would have shone through the openings into the gloom of the Mithraeum. Mithras's link with the sun is further emphasized by the Sun God's Whip which he holds in his right hand. When found, traces of red paint survived on the cloak, hair and letters, green and red paint were found on the decorated columns and Mithras's face was plastered white and then painted.

And no Phrygian cap!  

And other inscriptions found in from the Hadrian's wall at http://www.roman-britain.org/epigraphy/rib_hadrianswall.htm

altar; 1822 in W end of Mithraeum; Black Gate; dated AD252:
DEO SOLI • INVICTO MITRAE SAECVLARI PVBL PROCVLINVS

altar; 1604; Rokeby; restored
DEO SOLI INVICTO MITHRAE MARCVS LICINIVS RIPANVS PRAEF V S L M

altar; 1725; lost
DEO SOLI MITR ...VIS ...COR ...

altar broken in two; 1844 with #1395; Black Gate; restored
SOLI APOLLINI ËNICETO MITHRAE APONIVS ROGËTIËNVS

altar; 1822 near Zodiac Sculpture in Mithraeum; Black Gate
DEO • SOLI INVICTO MYTRAE SAECVLARI LITORIVS PACATIANVS B F COS PRO SE ET SVIS V S L M

Regards

Maffeo

Re: Mithras
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 05:13:30 pm »
I hope this long-dormant thread will pardon me for waking it from its slumber.
Still, as I have a certain interest in Mithraism, I had it in the back of mind and recalled it when I came across a reference to a Roman Provincial issued by Gordian III in Tarsus, portraying Mithras slaying the bull. Curiously, Mithras wears a radiate crown, rather than the usual Phrygian cap, which argues for his identification with Sol.
I wonder if anyone has a more precise reference to this, or a better image?

By the way, the coins mentioned above by virtusprobi allegedly showing Mithras wearing a Phrygian cap and on horseback, are probably of Sabazios - the Phrygian sky-god usually shown riding.

napki

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 05:36:57 pm »
I think you find that in Roman version of Mithraism popularized among army, Mithras to some extent conflate with Sol Invictus (and eventually these two with the Christianity), so Mithras sometimes shown radiate. Worth to note that Nero adopt the radiate crown upon his initiation into Mithraism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraic_Mysteries

http://www.uhu.es/ejms/faq.htm

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 06:08:38 pm »
Hi Maffeo!

Today I have some Roman provincial coins depicting Mithras in my collection too. They are from Trapezos and Tarsos. I think my coin from Tarsos is the same type you have shown in your posting. Please look at the article 'Some notes on Mithras' in the mythology thread https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=25089.175 You have to scroll a bit down. That article is from April 2007. So my knowledge has grown a bit.

Best regards

Maffeo

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 06:35:22 pm »
Thanks Jochen,
That's very interesting and I see you give a precise reference for the Gordian III coin. They certainly seem to be extremely rare, one never sees them for sale or on auction.

I think scholars in the past (starting with Cumont) have exaggerated the similarities between Mithraism and Christianity. Manfred Clauss in his 1990 book doesn't make much of these...

And wasn't the Taurobolium associated more with the cult of Cybele than Mithras?

The most interesting thing about Mithraism is how it collapsed so surprisingly quickly with the prohibition of pagan cults in the late 4th century, to think that in mid-4th century Rome there were hundres of Mithrea (some scholars claim 600!) - which means that there's probably one somewhere underneath me this very moment ! ;D

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 06:44:07 pm »
Another example:
Elagabalus; Trapezos, Pontos; AE 32.
Year PNG = 156 = 219/220 A.D.
Mithras riding on horseback, right, tree behind him. In front of him, altar, behind which is a column surmounted by an eagle.
Rev. die like Waddell I, 73.
ex. Trapezus Hoard

gavignano

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 10:26:48 pm »
I think the idea of the secrecy of the Mithras cult is a good explanation of its lack of prevalence on coinage. Do any coins make reference to the taurobolium, either as practiced by the Attis cult or the Mithraists? Now that would be some kind of reverse!

napki

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 11:34:11 pm »
I think the idea of the secrecy of the Mithras cult is a good explanation of its lack of prevalence on coinage.

Every antoninianus ever strucked and great majority of dupondii carry Mithraic radiate crown depicting the emperor as "incarnation of Mithras". Some things so obvious, perhaps not to be noticed?

"Soon after, the title of Sol invictus was transferred to Mithras. The Roman emperors formally announced their alliance with the sun and emphasized their likeness to Mithras, god of its divine light. Mithras was also unified with the sun-god Helios, and became known as 'The Great God Helios-Mithras'. Emperor Nero adopted the radiating crown as the symbol of his sovereignty to exemplify the splendour of the rays of the sun, and to show that he was an incarnation of Mithras. He was initiated into the Mithraic religion by the Persian Magi brought to Rome by the King of Armenia. Emperors from that time onwards proclaimed themselves destined to the throne by virtue of having been born with the divine ruling power of the sun."

-- David Fingrut essay Mithraism, Lacus Curtius website http://tinyurl.com/4boj7

Maffeo

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 03:13:34 am »
I'm afraid I would not take very seriously the Fingrut piece (a high-school student's paper) which relies far too much on Cumont, now considered largely dated by scholars.
Can anyone supply a reference to a primary source in which the Taurobolium is indicated as associated with the cult of Mithras as well as Cybele?
Then one has to be careful to avoid unwarranted inferences: for example, because Mithra-cultists identified (or, perhaps, affirmed a close connection between) Mithra and Sol does not permit the inference that all Sol-cultists identified Sol and Mithra - so the radiate crown on antoniani might permit the inference that emperors were Sol-cultists, but not necessarily that they were Mithra-cultists.
I recommend Manfred Clauss'1999 book - which I notice is now available in English translation: "The Roman Cult of Mithras. The God and his Mysteries", Edinburg U.P. 2000 - which corrects Cumont's unwarranted, speculative suggestions and limits itself to what can be said on the basis of the extant evidence (very little literary documentation, mostly archaeological) and is now considered the most reliable work on the topic.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity