Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

Philip II type

(1/1)

Hermes III:
Hello,
I am not sure if I should post this here or in the indentification area, but here I go.  This is a Miner Philip II with (Alexander?) man riding on a horse.  The obverse is the best head I have yet gotten.  It looks like someone from a vase painting.. hercules?  Apollo?  And the letters which show on the reverse dont spell Philipou to me...
Yours,

Friend of Hermes..

Hermes III:
It weighs in at about 5.5 g and is 18mm.  Does anyone know if this is a Philip II or something else...or a fake or what? Thanks.

Edessa:
Probably a barbaric copy of a Phillip II bronze.  Looks ok for style.  Nothing in the photo to indicate that it is a modern fake.  

esnible:
I see two adjacent lambdas in the reverse inscription.  If so, this would not be a Philip II.

The type "head right / horse" is very common for Greek bronze.  To identify this coin you'll almost certainly need to match a legend fragment.

Hermes III:
The first letter I see looks like a PHI but when I turn the coin in the light it looks like a Tau and the second letter looks like a Pi and then the next two letters look like two Lambas..., but the second lamba in the light looks a bit like a Kappa.   oi..  This I cannot figure...But yes it could be a barbaric imitation...It is too well worn for a modern fake;

thank you,

Willy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version