Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange little oenochoe  (Read 336 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Strange little oenochoe
« on: June 02, 2023, 10:10:08 am »

I have a small oenochoe that I had had for many years. It was once owned by Sir Charles Nicholson who founded the Nicholson Museum at Sydney University in 1860. It is curious because it features a male harpy, a creature I have never seen on any other example of ancient art.

Steve

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
Re: Strange little oenochoe
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 10:11:35 am »

Another view

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 05:20:14 pm »
That is beautiful, as well as a very interesting depiction of the male harpy.

Virgil

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 12:02:07 am »
Thanks Virgil. It normally just sits quietly in the display cabinet. It's fun to see people who are knowledgeable about the history of art or ancient history when they first have a good look at it. The reaction is usually something like "Hey wait a minute- is that a male harpy?"

Steve

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 10:13:56 am »
Very interesting.  Where is it from, Magna Grecia?

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 08:30:50 pm »
That is a nice looking piece.  Presumably Ionian Black Figure, and fairly old to judge from the bearded Siren or male Harpy. Late 6th to 5th century is my first guess but you should search the online databases for vases (Beazley archive, CVA).  If I had time I would do it for you but I’m swamped right now.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 08:30:39 am »

Thanks Jay GT4. 

You are exactly right Molinari! Sir Charles Nicholson described it in the 19th century as being 5th century BC Ionian Black Figure.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity