Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severus Alexander Restitutor Urbis Denarius  (Read 315 times)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Severus Alexander Restitutor Urbis Denarius
« on: May 20, 2023, 05:01:17 am »
Severus Alexander Restitutor Urbis Denarius.
Any thoughts?
Picture is from seller.
USB microscope pictures are mine.
Because it is a Hybrid I suspected a subaerat (above head of S. Alexander planchet is damaged) but the encrustrations a most likely iron.

Subaerat?
Official hybrid?
Inofficial hybrid?
Ancient imitation?

There is a legend error not Urbis but UrRis

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
Re: Severus Alexander Restitutor Urbis Denarius
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 10:45:32 am »
First time that I have seen this reverse type for Severus AlexanderSubaerat would be my guess but a hybrid if the rust is only surface contamination.  The reverse die type also appears in earlier Severan coins.  Should the reverse legend be ORBIS instead of URBIS?  What is the weight?
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Severus Alexander Restitutor Urbis Denarius
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 11:28:11 am »
It seems to be actually iron encrustrations and no traces of copper only a damaged flan above Severus Alexander´s, but I guess that this needn´t mean that there if copper underneath, I have seen damaged planchets on official coins made from good silver, too.

weight 2,95 g
size 24,00 mm

There are Denarii and Aurei of SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS, Caracalla and Geta with this reverse Roma seated and RESTITVTOR - VRBIS legend

https://numismatics.org/ocre/results?q=restitvtor%20vrbis&start=0

All coins are guaranteed for eternity